Graphics Card for Rendering Advice

Apr 3, 2018
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a graphics card for rendering (in Daz Studio) was wondering if anybody had any advice to help me get faster rendering times.

I'm using a laptop at the moment here are the specs:
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ (2.8 GHz)
8 GB RAM with 128 GB PCIe SSD and 1 TB storage
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated)

I have a Desktop (which has been dead for 2 years, needs a new GPU):
AMD FX-8350 Processor
16GB AMD 2133mhz RAM
(Dead) GTX 780

I'm thinking putting a new GPU in it and using the Desktop rather than my laptop.
Would the best GPU to get be the GTX 1080TI?

(One I was looking at: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...dr5x-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-001-au.html )

I'm being made redundant so have a budget of about £850 from my pay-off which would be my budget.

Solution
Cpu won't bottleneck when gpu rendering with iray gpu only. The only time it's used is pre-rendering when the cpu is loading the scene into the gpu. After that the gpu is free to do its thing. A 1080 is a better value but you need to know if vram is enough.

voxic

Prominent
Oct 20, 2017
Your FX-8350 would most likely bottleneck a GTX 1080TI. So my suggestion, depending on how urgent it is that you render whatever it is you want to render, just save up some more money, and then upgrade your CPU, MOBO, RAM & GPU all in one go.

Cpu won't bottleneck when gpu rendering with iray gpu only. The only time it's used is pre-rendering when the cpu is loading the scene into the gpu. After that the gpu is free to do its thing. A 1080 is a better value but you need to know if vram is enough.

Solution