[SOLVED] Graphics card for Ryzen 3700x?

orangeme

Honorable
Nov 17, 2016
I currently have a GTX 1060 6GB graphics card and I remember someone saying or I found out before, that apparently this graphics card bottlenecks my CPU. I'm currently thinking about upgrading so I'm wondering what would be on par for the CPU, I will be doing 4k video editing and playing games like rust, siege, rdr2 also if that info is of any use.

GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
CPU: Ryzen 3700x
RAM: HyperX DDR4 32GB "Current clock speed 1600" (If i'm correct it's actually doubled so it's 3200Mhz correct me if i'm wrong)
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX AM4 ATX
PSU: RM 550x

Solution
I currently have a GTX 1060 6GB graphics card and I remember someone saying or I found out before, that apparently this graphics card bottlenecks my CPU. I'm currently thinking about upgrading so I'm wondering what would be on par for the CPU, I will be doing 4k video editing and playing games like rust, siege, rdr2 also if that info is of any use.

RAM: HyperX DDR4 32GB "Current clock speed 1600" (If i'm correct it's actually doubled so it's 3200Mhz correct me if i'm wrong)
I am no graphics card connoisseur, but there are a number of great GPUs that work well with the 3700x for a decent retail price. I am using a Radeon 5700xt, and it...
Nov 16, 2020

I am no graphics card connoisseur, but there are a number of great GPUs that work well with the 3700x for a decent retail price. I am using a Radeon 5700xt, and it works great for gaming and editing 1080p 240hz. That said, now is a horrendous time to buy, because the very same GPU (5700xt) is up 200% in price, like many others. 2060 to 2070 Super will work well while still not being too overkill, too. Then again, their prices are egregious. Stronger GPUs will obviously offer better performance while rendering, and if that is really a focal point, consider waiting and investing in a more expensive one - such as the previously recommended 3080.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Whomever said the word bottleneck was completely full of ...t.

The cpu determines the fps. It's got to translate the game code, place every object, figure out Ai and physX and lighting and all the rest, per frame.

All that then gets sent to the gpu, which first creates a wire-frame, then fills all that in with color, according to resolution and detail settings.

So Everything is a variable. The game, the detail settings, the resolution, DSR etc.

A 1060 is fine for a 1080p/60Hz monitor, it's going to be bad for 1440p and almost unusable at 4k. Cpu has nothing to do with Resolution. There's a large difference between a simple 1 player game and a complex multi-player and heavy Ai game.

So just throwing out the term 'bottleneck' is highly misleading. Playing minecraft and CSGO etc won't demand a strong cpu or gpu, playing CoD or any of Tom Clancy's games will.

orangeme

Honorable
Nov 17, 2016
I am no graphics card connoisseur, but there are a number of great GPUs that work well with the 3700x for a decent retail price. I am using a Radeon 5700xt, and it works great for gaming and editing 1080p 240hz. That said, now is a horrendous time to buy, because the very same GPU (5700xt) is up 200% in price, like many others. 2060 to 2070 Super will work well while still not being too overkill, too. Then again, their prices are egregious. Stronger GPUs will obviously offer better performance while rendering, and if that is really a focal point, consider waiting and investing in a more expensive one - such as the previously recommended 3080.
How long do you think until the prices go back to normal? Thank you!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Might as well ask how long Covid is going to be a threat.

Because that's a major player in gpu sales atm. As long as Covid is a threat, it's going to hold up customs, priority shipping will take it place etc. Which puts a hard line cutoff on supply, only certain vendors get any at any given time.

On top of that you get the unscrupulous, the Scalpers. They'll pre-order the 5 limit from Amazon and newegg etc. Get their wife/gf to order the same. Get their kid order the same, grandma, neighbor, buddy or 3. So Amazon gets 100 in stock (finally) and 50 are gone to the scalpers pre-orders, 40 more to another scalper and a dedicated retail of 10 is gone in seconds after showing up in stock.

So you get your choice, buy the $399 3060ti for $599 from AcmeScalper.com (has 50 in stock) or check Amazon stock every few minutes for weeks to try and be one of the 10.

I waited for months for my $250 Asus mITX motherboard to be in stock. I could have gotten it in 4-5 days, airmailed from Japan ($120 shipping charge) for retail $940 (before shipping). From AcmeScalper.com type person.

Reactions: Krotow