Question graphics card for the i7 960

Mar 7, 2019
i have an area 51 with
x58 mob ms-7543 v 2.0 , i7 960, 6 gig ram, was running 2 nvidia gtx260 in sli.
I am 61 and a computer dummy and really need help to figure out what I need todo. my last v card died a few weeks ago and yes I am going nuts with out lol.
what I want todo is get the best vCard and system ram that wont bottle neck, the monitor I have is 60hrz, ram speed I don't know what it is but knowing dell its slow. I do know I am going to get a new monitor after I get the system back up and running.
thank you much
bags
updated the mobo id

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019
with much respect I can agree with both of you 100% the best I can do is bump ram and get a new or used card and to be honest this water cooled system will out last me, but thats another story.

thank you
bags

If I had to use that system I'd buy a 2x8GB kit of DDR3 (wondering how fast of DDR3 your motherboard supports) and get a GTX 1660 Ti if I could afford it. But there are plenty of cheaper GPUs available. You might consider a new power supply for such an old system. I'm not too sure what form factor the power supply is in your system.

Reactions: jamesanyoung
Mar 7, 2019
the ram speed I think right now is at 1333 and it can handle 1666 and 12 gig max so that would be 3 sticks at 4 gig each. the power supply is at 1000 watts.

well the 660 ti to the 970 range gives me some thing to work with, I just didn't want to go to big and bottle neck the gpu or cpu.
thank you
bags

12GB max doesn't sound right, but maybe it is. This system is from 2008. Your motherboard has 6 RAM slots correct? You will want either 3x4GB or 6x2GB of the exact same RAM so it will run optimized in triple-channel.

A brand new RX 570 w/ 2 new games for $129 is a very good deal.
Video Card: ASRock - Radeon RX 570 4 GB Phantom Gaming D Video Card ($129.99 @ Newegg)

That deal will likely be sold out by the end of the weekend.

*Update: I just bought it because I want the games and I already have an RX 580 I can use to activate them. I'm hoping I can use the digital codes and re-sell the RX 570.
**Update#2: I was able to redeem the AMDRewards code by using my old RX 580. I haven't even received the new RX 570. I'm sure I will sell it as new and unopened on eBay. The game codes are a two-part thing. My initial code was redeemed and I picked my two games. But I don't think I will get the actual game codes until later. The Newegg electronic delivery email states: REDEMPTION PERIOD: April 7 - May 6, 2019

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019
thanks guys for the help
i need to update this- the mobo is ms-7543 v 2.0 and it only has 3 ram slots - the specs show a max I can use is 12 gig

TRENDING THREADS