Graphics Card Going Out?

Firefighter1466

Reputable
Mar 16, 2017
I'm going to go through as much detail as possible and hope I'm in the right section and that someone can possibly help me.

I built this computer in early 2013, have had absolutely no issues with it. A couple of days ago as I was using it to research a problem with a vehicle and had multiple tabs open on the browser, everything seemed to just freeze up. No response from keyboard/mouse couldn't get anything to happen. Left it that way for about 10 minutes then clicked the reset button on the tower.

As the computer booted back up, I knew something was immediately off as there were thin blue lines going through the upper half of the screen. It booted up and went to 800x600 resolution and was acting funny. I updated the drivers (they had been outdated to 2012), unplugged and re-plugged the two PCI-E cables and unplugged everything from the back and plugged it back in.

Bam! It worked! For a day... the next day, same issue. I've tried reinstalling drivers 2-3x, it's still showing Error Code 43 in the Device Manager. Support with nVidia told me to reach out directly to ASUS since they manufactured my GPU and MOBO. They weren't much help. Under their advice, I updated the BIOS to the latest update they had (which wasn't very recent) using the bios update button and a usb drive on the back of the computer. I took the motherboard out and took out the CMOS battery. They advised me to pull it out and reseat it to resolve issues, but I replaced the battery with a new one just to stop from having to take the armor off again (Sabertooth Z77). I dusted everything inside and out, completely unhooked everything from hard drives to the PSU and the motherboard and replaced it all. Reseated all of the RAM. The only thing I didn't take out was the CPU, why would I?

Anyways, I'm stumped. Now the screen doesn't have ANY lines through it after that "rebuild" but it's stuck with about 1-1/2 inch of black border all the way around no matter what I set the resolution to, I've updated the vbios, the bios, the graphics card drivers, and I'm still stuck in Code 43 on the device manager.

Not sure what all information you guys might need from me to help diagnose, but I'll give you any of it you need. Obviously my thoughts are leaning towards the graphics card going out, which is a big hit to the wallet, but hopefully not..

Thanks in advance!!

My build:
Monitor: ASUS VS278Q-P Black 27" 1ms Widescreen LCD/LED

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced Blue Edition

Processor: BX80637I73770K Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge Quad-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 155 77W

RAM: CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10 Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (4x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 PC3 12800

HD1: AGT3-25SAT3-120G OCZ Agility 3 2.5" 120 GB SATA SSD

HD2: Western Digital Black 1 TB 7200 RPM

Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77

PSU: SeaSonic X Series X-850 (SS-850KM3 Active PFC F3) 850W ATX12V

GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 680 DirectX 11 GTX680-DC2-4GD5 4GB 256-Bit

Firefighter1466

Reputable
Mar 16, 2017
I don't have another one to test, so it looks like I'm going to have to buy one. Was hoping there was something I could troubleshoot before buying another card. Any recommendations for a replacement video card? I paid $569.99 for that one 6 years ago and have had it do everything I need, really not trying to spend a ton of money on another card right now until I go to build a new one again in a few years.

Firefighter1466

Reputable
Mar 16, 2017
Just thought I'd update the situation. Disassembled everything removed wires from PSU and test them individually with the paperclip test and multimeter and everything was reading ober 12v. I left the psu out and ran wires direct without being routed and hooked up everything and managed to get it to boot once perfectly fine. As soon as I tried to open any browser the graphics crashed and recovered once then crashed again and rebooted. After rebooting the Error Code 43 is showing on the on board device instead of my GPU. I turned the fan wide open on GPU tweak and left everything opened up for 3 hours now and haven't tested anything major but the browser isnt crashing it. Any ideas on what may be the issue? It wouldn't be the graphics card if it's running this long without issue would it? Even under minor load?

Firefighter1466

Reputable
Mar 16, 2017
I have another question - I removed the GTX 680 completely from the computer. I booted up using the integrated GPU. I've played games on this GPU before, but now when I launch "CS:GO" on Steam, it shows that it's running in the background, but I'm not showing any icon in the task bar or anything on my screen. Is this due to me switching back and it's still looking for the dedicated GPU? How can I resolve this?

Thanks!