Question Graphics card (GTX 970) may have blown, yet the fan runs

Jun 21, 2019
I wish to be certain that my GPU is dead. After playing a quite heavy game (Hell let loose) for a few minutes, my computer completely shuts off power. I checked the temperature and it appeared relatively normal. It did it two more times (over the course of the day, trying to reduce graphic settings along the way. Every time, the computer dies. This has never happened before.

On the third time, I no longer have any display. A fan started making a terrible noise, I'm not certain which fan it was. I turned the computer off in a hurry (probably should have investigated which fan was making the noise). I probably shouldn't have forced the hand. Here's the current situation:

All components are from Summer 2015. A 550 W power supply, a Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI motherboard with connections to a i7 4790 cpu and a GV-N970IXOC-4GD (GTX 970) gpu. And some RAM and harddisks. The whole computer is working fine, device manager shows no errors other than a missing display adaptor: my gpu. I connected the DVI-D to the motherboard, and all is well. Computer is completely fine. My drivers are no longer finding my gpu. Windows is properly updated at all times, I don't use virus scanners but I'm quite certain nothing of the sort has happened either. I think the gpu blew, but I need to be sure before I replace it. There's one oddity: the fan on the gpu still works fine. The gpu is very cold to the touch, certainly nothing going on in there.

Is there any step I can take here? My big limitation is there's no-one nearby with a PCI-e slot on which I could test my card. If the fan didn't work, I wouldn't be writing this post. But it's spinning. Is that common on dead gpus?

I tried cleaning the gpu, reseating the gpu, letting the gpu cooldown for a day, rummaged around the BIOS, reinstalled drivers.

Thanks for reading.

It sounds as though your GPU has simply 'given up the ghost'...

As you have nothing to lose (assuming waranty has long since lapsed), you can browse Youtube about assorted 'baking GPU in oven' solutions.

In short, now might be a good time to start pricing a 1660Ti or GTX1070....; depending on GPU prices, even the GTX1060 (6 GB) is about as fast or faster at 1080P as your 970 was....