Graphics card has basic function, but I cannot see it in device manager.

joeflint82

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
I've recently upgraded from a 560 ti to a 770. The 770 is now installed and I can access windows, and it'll even go to 1680x1050, but it isn't showing in either device manager, nor my hardware monitor.

I didn't expect to have to download the driver again, but that is in progress and will take an hour. Is there anything I haven't thought of? My PSU is single rail 850W and more than capable. I have 2x8 pin PCI-E power leads plugged in. I cannot think of anything else. I have tried rebooting / reseating.

Solution
Well I guess it depends on what server you're downloading from. Generally drivers and utilities take forever to download because the servers seem to always be backed up or you're downloading from half way across the world. (looking at you Gigabyte) I do admire your persistence though. Maybe you should keep a backup file of stable drivers on a USB or somewhere on your computer just in case so you don't have to wait an hour everytime you need to do some troubleshooting.

Just feel free to get back to us after you reinstall your newly acquired drivers ^^

caqde

Distinguished
With newer GPU's if the old GPU driver is to old to know what your current GPU is then it likely will be limited to showing up as a Standard VGA Graphics Adapter in the device manager since your old driver wouldn't know what the 770 is. In this sense you should have a device called "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" in your device manager.

dovah-chan

Honorable

Fermi and Kepler use the same drivers. Unless he has drivers way back from 2010 (which wouldn't surprise me as his internet doesn't seem to be five star) then they should detect fine.

joeflint82

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
38 minutes in the end to download 310Mb, and everything is working fine. I know when I went from 460 to 560 ti that I didn't need to download new drivers. I guess I expected it to be at least a lot more compatible than it was

dovah-chan

Honorable
Well I guess it depends on what server you're downloading from. Generally drivers and utilities take forever to download because the servers seem to always be backed up or you're downloading from half way across the world. (looking at you Gigabyte) I do admire your persistence though. Maybe you should keep a backup file of stable drivers on a USB or somewhere on your computer just in case so you don't have to wait an hour everytime you need to do some troubleshooting.

Just feel free to get back to us after you reinstall your newly acquired drivers ^^

Solution

caqde

Distinguished

The driver wouldn't have to be that old to not recognize it. The GTX 770 Kepler came out mid last year May 30 2013 according to Wiki. And the drivers used would need to be from a bit after or around that date to detect the card correctly. Regardless of the driver knowing about Kepler's Architecture or not.

Anyways if you have the latest WHQL or Beta driver I'm surprised that it didn't autodetect the card and install it. Hopefully a fresh install makes this work. Otherwise we will be left wondering if in fact that is a GTX 770 or not.