Jan 12, 2022
Hey there,
So I am a a bit of a paranoid person when it comes to pc hardware and today I was playing Ark: Survival Evolved and my PC just suddenly turned off. I realised that it was due to my GPU overheating. Before I was playing Ark and it ran at around 70 degrees Celsius, but it must have jumped up while I didn't notice.

I was playing Ark at epic or maximum settings and at 1440p so there was quite a bit of load for the GPU which is a Gigabyte RTX 3070 OC card. I am just a little worried that it could have taken some damage or anything as I don't know too much about a graphics card's ability to take heat. I would think a one time overheat would be ok, as long as it is not long term, which it wasn't, but am right in saying that?

oldcracc

Reputable
Apr 10, 2019
Are you sure your GPU overheated? A lot of times if a GPU is overheating it wont just turn off but rather thermal throttle so it doesn't damage itself, unless your temps jumped to 100C+ then that's a huge issue, but unlikely. Could be PSU? Also could be CPU overheating. Maybe run some stress tests and benchmarks and test both CPU and GPU benchmarks (and monitor usage + temps). What PSU do you have? CPU?

What are the make/model specs of the rest of your system?
In particular, the psu, cpu,cooler and case.

How did you determine that gpu heat was an issue?

Graphics cards do run hot, but they are designed to do so.
Running at 80c. is normal.
Past that, the gpu fans ramp up or the clock is lowered to keep temperatures under control.

If this happens on only one game, look first to a game patch.

Jan 12, 2022
Are you sure your GPU overheated? A lot of times if a GPU is overheating it wont just turn off but rather thermal throttle so it doesn't damage itself, unless your temps jumped to 100C+ then that's a huge issue, but unlikely. Could be PSU? Also could be CPU overheating. Maybe run some stress tests and benchmarks and test both CPU and GPU benchmarks (and monitor usage + temps). What PSU do you have? CPU?
Actually I did get some kind of message about an update a couple minutes earlier and when it restarted it was a black screen and then a percentage gauge started to load as if something was downloading. Maybe I’m just stupid and this was just that.

I userbenchmark and my you was running at expected, cpu running above expected. Full specs of pc are.

• i7 12700K
  • Asus prime z690-p motherboard
  • 32gb DDR5 Ram
  • Gen 4 nvme 1TB ssd
  • Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 OC
  • Corsair RM 850x fully modular 80 plus gold 850W power supply.

however, I am probably just stupid and this was just an update. I assume if it was a reboot due to graphics card than it would have been blue screen if death.

oldcracc

Reputable
Apr 10, 2019
Actually I did get some kind of message about an update a couple minutes earlier and when it restarted it was a black screen and then a percentage gauge started to load as if something was downloading. Maybe I’m just stupid and this was just that.

I userbenchmark and my you was running at expected, cpu running above expected. Full specs of pc are.

• i7 12700K
  • Asus prime z690-p motherboard
  • 32gb DDR5 Ram
  • Gen 4 nvme 1TB ssd
  • Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 OC
  • Corsair RM 850x fully modular 80 plus gold 850W power supply.
however, I am probably just stupid and this was just an update. I assume if it was a reboot due to graphics card than it would have been blue screen if death.
Oh it could have been just an update, if it happens again make another post. As long as temps are fine and everything running as expected I wouldn't worry about it.