Graphics card high usage due to fast-sync???

ducamvinh

Prominent
May 27, 2018
Hi guys i'm new here and don't know much about the whole "sync-options" in a graphics card, so i created this thread to ask for some advice. I have a 1050ti with a 75hz monitor. Now the monitor have free-sync but since i have an nvidia card so that's useless. After some research i found out there are other 2 options, that are adaptive v-sync and fast sync. Now here are my experiments results when i play For Honor, 1080p, very high settings:

• When i first bought the monitor, i didn't turn any of those sync options on, instead i turn on adaptive sync in game setting, the result was gpu runs at above 70%, clock speed is usually above 1700 MHz, the highest clock speed i've observed was 1835 MHz, which i heard was available due to GPU Boost 3.0. The frame rate is stable at 75 FPS, which is my monitor's refresh rate.

• Then i learn of fast sync, so i enabled it in nvidia's control panel, turn off the adaptive sync in game setting. The result was the game runs at 80 - 100 FPS, GPU usage i always 98, 99%, and clock speed doesn't get higher than 1750 MHz.
So my questions are: why the GPU usage is raised that dramatically, while clock speed gets reduced. I cranked up the fan speed by MSI afterburner to the max to keep it cool, but how harmful is this configuration for my graphics card. Should i make any adjustment. Note that none of these 2 configuration produces screen tearing. I'm loving this boost in frame rate but concerned about the high usage of the gpu, any help would be highly appreciated as i really don't want to fry this 3-month-old graphics card. Thanks!!!!

oh also, if this monitor's refresh rate is only 75Hz, is it possible that the game can run at 100 FPS smoothly, or it's just showing 75 FPS and somehow the FPS counter just show the wrong number???

Solution
Adaptive vsync tries to match the gpu frame rendering capability to the refresh rate of the monitor.

Other options without synchronization are prone to screen tearing where the rendering rate exceeds the monitor rate.
You are probably have some of this if you look closely enough.

All in all, I would not worry about any of this or try to tweak anything.
You are running well, just enjoy it.
Adaptive vsync tries to match the gpu frame rendering capability to the refresh rate of the monitor.

Other options without synchronization are prone to screen tearing where the rendering rate exceeds the monitor rate.
You are probably have some of this if you look closely enough.

All in all, I would not worry about any of this or try to tweak anything.
You are running well, just enjoy it.

Solution

ducamvinh

Prominent
May 27, 2018

Thanks for the response, man. Also if you don't mind, i would like to repeat my last question, my monitor's refresh rate is only 75 Hz, how can it produce frame rates higher than that.

ducamvinh

Prominent
May 27, 2018

Then what you're saying is that i'm not actually seeing 100 FPS, then would you say it's not worth it to keep the setting as it put the gpu underload while i'm not really getting the performance.
Also also, another question would be, why when running lower frame rate, clock speed is higher but gpu load is lower.
Sorry for the never-ending quesions.

I am no expert on this, but research adaptive vsync which is an option for you.
The advantage is reduced input latency and screen tearing.
Both good things.

It makes sense that if the gpu needs to generate frames slower to match the 75hz, that is a good thing which should result in lower gpu and cpu loads.
I would not bother too much about this since you seem to be running well.