[SOLVED] Graphics card in a very old hp desktop

Dec 14, 2021
A friend asked me to upgrade his very old desktop computer and it doesn't have a graphics card installed so I can't even run it to see what operating system, or anything. It is an HP Product number SM941UC#ABA. I need to know what kind of video card came in it and any compatible ones so I need help locating one. The sticker said it came with Windows 7. HELP!!

Thank you to anyone reading this.

Solution
Any low power PCIe graphics card will work. Nvidia GT710 should be available, though relatively expensive. You can hit up the used market for older cards if you just want to get it up and running. Stick to cards that don't require a 6-pin PCIe power adapter and it should be fine. Radeon R5 and R7 low power cards might also be a good pick.

Here is a potential parts list:

https://store.emprgroup.co.nz/hpc-9329876-6-sm941uc.aspx

If you mean to use this for gaming, it is not super wise. It is outdated and likely has a small power supply. Given the age, I would not trust it to run any GTX, RTX, or RX series cards from Nvidia or AMD. And upgrading it further does not make economic sense at this point, better off with any off the...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Any low power PCIe graphics card will work. Nvidia GT710 should be available, though relatively expensive. You can hit up the used market for older cards if you just want to get it up and running. Stick to cards that don't require a 6-pin PCIe power adapter and it should be fine. Radeon R5 and R7 low power cards might also be a good pick.

Here is a potential parts list:

https://store.emprgroup.co.nz/hpc-9329876-6-sm941uc.aspx

If you mean to use this for gaming, it is not super wise. It is outdated and likely has a small power supply. Given the age, I would not trust it to run any GTX, RTX, or RX series cards from Nvidia or AMD. And upgrading it further does not make economic sense at this point, better off with any off the shelf PC or just newer used business machines.

Solution

mike the car guy

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
Did it even come with a graphics card? Lots of basic consumer ones just have it on the MOBO. Way back in a Win 98 machine my daughter in law rammed their PC up against a wall cleaning up. Trashed the SVGA connector and part of the MOBO. I plugged in a cheap generic PCI graphics card and i had graphics. IIRC I had to install drivers to get beyond 480X640, but it gave me enough to go from there. Now desoldering the broken SVGA connector from the double sided motherboard wasn't fun, but the graphics were easy.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
A friend asked me to upgrade his very old desktop computer and it doesn't have a graphics card installed so I can't even run it to see what operating system, or anything. It is an HP Product number SM941UC#ABA. I need to know what kind of video card came in it and any compatible ones so I need help locating one. The sticker said it came with Windows 7. HELP!!

Thank you to anyone reading this.

Is it currently broken? If he was using it, it had to be working, by definition.

I wouldn't bank on upgrading being much of an option, however. Very old OEM office PCs are basically disposable PCs as they're rarely configured in a manner conducive to any significant upgrading other than RAM and storage.