Graphics card installation help not powering up

shunklies

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
Hi,

After lots of reading i've just joined up to post this in the hope that someone can please help.

I'm trying to install a new graphics cards into a pc, the card is ATI HD5550 1GB DDR2 PCI-E

I've uninstalled the old drivers for the old card, i've updated the chipset drivers on the motherboard, i've installed a brand new 780w PSU, my system has 2gb Memory.

When i've tried to install the new graphics card, the fans start and stop, a gentle hum and stop, and nothing else.

I've been reading for days now what the issue could be, i've tried all the various methods as stated above, but I can't find anything anywhere related to this problem.

Can someone please give me some advice?

Thankyou so much for your time.

shunklies

Distinguished
May 7, 2011

Hi, Thanks for the reply,

As far as i'm aware there isn't a problem with the power supply, it works fine with the old graphics card installed (Radeon 1650 pro 512mb ) and when no card is installed.

The only time there has been a problem is when i've tried installing a new card.

Here's some more info:

motherboard - MSI Gypsum 3.11

PSU - http://www.maplin.co.uk/780w-g7-atx-psu-393044

IIRC the 5550 is a PCI-e 2.1 card -- Is your MOBO PCI-e slot an older 1.0 slot (version of PCI-e x16 spec not the speed !) ? Some PCI-e 1.0 slots are not fully compatible with the newer 2.1 spec --- perhaps try the card in another system to see if it works. You might need to get a different video card that is either PCI-e 1.0 or 2.0 instead of 2.1 (they are suppose to be backward compaitible but some do not work properly) Or you might see if thee are any BIOS updates available for the MOBO as a newer BIOS might also correct the compatibility.

shunklies

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
HI,

From looking on the box it says the card is x16, which from reading I believe is the older 1.0 version?

It doesn't actually say a version, just in the recommendations it says
PCI Express compliant motherboard with one x16 graphics slot

On another forum someone has mentioned it could be that the PSu has four rails, and because it was a cheaper one that could be an issue?

I am going to try it in another pc in a moment.

Is updating the BIOS a big job?

I've updated the Chipset drivers already.

Again thankyou for your advice.

shunklies

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
I've had a good look into it and from most websites it does state this card is v2.1, on the box it says Version 1, and Maplin said it would work fine, so it's going back.

I'll have to try and find a V2 or 1 and see if that works.

Thanks for the help.