Status
Not open for further replies.

chocolateisyummy2

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
Hello,
I am trying to Install a graphics card into my computer and I keep running into a problem. I just built the computer myself, and it is my first time building a computer. I have a Asus P8Z77-V PRO motherboard with a I7-3770K it is currently overclocked. The graphics card is a gigabyte geforce gtx 660. Alright for the problem I am running into. As soon as windows boots up the screen goes blank and I get nothing. I am currently running windows 8 pro but I tried installing Windows 7 to see if it would happen and the same thing happened. I can get display in the BIOS and it will show the loading windows screen. I was also able to start in safe mode and it worked in safe mode. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am all out of ideas.

okay if you were able to start in safe mode it means there are some issues with your video drivers. i would suggest booting in safe mode with networking and go to control panel, uinstall your current drivers and download the newest drivers from nvidia's webside

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Make sure your video cable is plugged into the video card, not the motherboard video out.

chocolateisyummy2

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
The HDMI cable is plugged into the video card when I try. I have tried putting Windows 7 on the computer to see if that would work to see if it was a Windows 8 Compatibility issue I also tried the latest nvidia driver and the latest beta driver and also the driver that is on gigabytes website. Each time I install I performed the clean install. I reinstalled Windows 8 (clean install not an upgrade) so right now I have no drivers installed for the video card. Thanks for the help and ideas. Is it possible that the intell graphics is messing it up and I need to disable it before? How do I reset cmos?

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Check the user manual of your motherboard. There is a jumper or a simple switch that you can use to reset it. If you can't find this, you can always pop out the lithium ion battery on the motherboard and count 10 seconds, then put it back in.

A more direct way is to probe in the BIOS, find the settings for which VGA adapter boots first, and set this value to PCI-E instead of Integrated (also check the manual for the BIOS settings on this).

If your board looks like this P8Z77-V, the reset switch is the red/black button on the bottom of the motherboard near the edge like this picture:

asus-p8z77-v-d-layout-6.jpg

chocolateisyummy2

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
Thanks I will take a look at the motherboard. I have tried changing the settings in the BIOS to set the default graphics to PCI-E. To even get the drivers on the computer I had to put the graphics card in and set it to iGPU so i could get in windows and download the driver for the graphics card and it still wouldn't work. Another things that happens when I try to boot with the grahpics card in is, that it gets to where the log in screen would be but it seems like windows crashes and I have no choice but to just hold the power button down and then when I restart and switch back to iGPU for display and start windows it goes into windows repair mode. Happened in windows 8 and 7

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

It could be that your GPU is defective/bad. Try it in a different computer if you have one, or try a different GPU if you have a spare.

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Right so if we go on the theory that you tried two types of drivers and you get a black screen and no signal after installing the drivers, and also making sure the options in the bios are set to use the Pci-e graphics card. Lets say the graphics card driver is loading and the result is when it does the power requirement of the card becomes more demanding.
So therefore there could be three causes.
1.The extra Pci-e 12v power has not been connected to the back of the graphics card if it requires one Pci-e 12v power source.
2.The power supply unit has reached its out put limit, and cannot provide enough watts or amps on the 12v rail the card requires.
3. The extra 8 pin 12v supply has not been plugged in that supplys the cpu with power, and provides extra power to the pci-e slot from the board. I would check all of these and see if it helps the situation.

chocolateisyummy2

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
Thanks for the help everyone. I figured out the problem. I think it had something to do with me overclocking the CPU before install the graphics card. I reset my cmos and turn off the TPU switch and now everything seems to be running fine. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.