Graphics card interfering with motherboard? Nothing shows on monitors except when its taken out

anime_lover713

Reputable
Dec 1, 2014
So I recently moved, and I start setting up my computer (Windows 10) as usual, and I have a dual monitor set up. I have a mother board (MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING) and the graphics card (Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti) hooked. When I turned on my computer, I wasn't getting any visual feed on my monitors, even tried a tv.

My buddy and I were troubleshooting this, and we took out the graphics and it worked! Saw my set up on a monitor, and we had to redo the BIOS. When we put back the graphics, the issue came back again of nothing showing, we tried deleting the drivers, but when I went to go re-install them I couldn't because it can't find any compatible graphics equipment (which reverts back to the problem if I do put the card back in.) We tried clearing the motherboard CMOS and still nothing.

Why is it doing this? I haven't had an issue like this! However it's been 3 weeks since I last turned on my computer due to the move. HELP!!

Solution
doing a bit of searching, it would seem there are more than a few cases of no video from this specific motherboard. I found this post with some info on the bios settings to check:

"In the BIOS under Settings\Advanced\Integrated Graphics Configuration, make sure Virtu Technology is Disabled, Initiate Graphics Adapter is PEG and IGD Multi-Monitor is Disabled. This will disable the CPU's internal graphics altogether. If you want to be able to use the CPU internal graphics along with your installed video card at the same time, you would need to set Virtu to Enabled, Initiate to IGD and IGD Multi to enabled and then install the Virtu driver software under Windows on you computer."
Maybe the PCIe slot in which the GPU is plugged got damaged during the move, or the GPU itself got damaged. Have you tried plugging it in the next PCIe slot? And have you made sure the card works by plugging it into a different PC?

anime_lover713

Reputable
Dec 1, 2014

PCIe slot? There isn't one, it's just this one slot on the motherboard for the GPU.

anime_lover713

Reputable
Dec 1, 2014

Yeah I see it now, so try and changing it to another?

Plug the card in another PCIe x16 slot and boot: if you get an image, the card is fine but the first PCIe slot might be damaged, just use the one you've just tested. If you still don't get an image, i would try to have a mate let me try the card on his PC. If you still can't get an image, the GPU is dead/damaged. If you do get an image, your motherboard might be damaged.

anime_lover713

Reputable
Dec 1, 2014

Yeah I tried the 5th PCIe slot and I still got a no go. I had someone told me that it's possible that my GPU died since this happened to him too.

anime_lover713

Reputable
Dec 1, 2014

Yeah I was told the same thing by another person as well..no image regardless on a different PCIe slot

anime_lover713

Reputable
Dec 1, 2014

We'll I built this computer more than 2 years ago I believe. I guess I'll just go bye another GPU shortly and still give it a go. I'll message the next status. >o <

Did you check on some other computer whether the GPU (the old one, the GTX 750Ti) was actually dead or not? I understand you bought a new GPU, correct? BIOS probably has nothing to do: in the BIOS you can select which graphics outputs should be used first, whether the integrated GPU or a discrete GPU. But once you get to Windows, both GPUs should be seen by the OS, except in case something is wrong at the hardware level.

anime_lover713

Reputable
Dec 1, 2014

Well later today the old GPU will be tested on another rig. Yes I did buy a new GPU and installed the driver for it or so I think I did.

anime_lover713

Reputable
Dec 1, 2014

So is something wrong with my pc via hardware level? What do you mean by that?

anime_lover713

Reputable
Dec 1, 2014

Yeah I have a neighbor who can test it out for me except I couldn't yesterday due to me working all day and him not being home. If I went to the store I go to they'd charge $40 to test it...in which if my neighbor isn't there again I'm tempted to say Fck it and do the $40.

anime_lover713

Reputable
Dec 1, 2014

Yes and no. Normally it's able to show SOMETHING whenever I have the GPU in and the first monitor being hooked up to the motherboard. However I have tried switching the HDMI from the motherboard to the GPU to see if I got any reading from anything. Nope, no feedback whatsoever.

jay_red

Commendable
Mar 3, 2016
Well any time you have a dedicated GPU plugged in you have to plug your monitor into the card and not the motherboard. The only thing else I can think of is in BIOS see if there is an option to enable the GPU and not just the on board video, do this with the cable plugged into the motherboard. Once you find the setting, change it and shut down and swap the cable to the GPU and reboot. Also try a different connection if possible like Display Port or DVI, just to see if there is any change.

anime_lover713

Reputable
Dec 1, 2014

Right but even when I plug the HDMI to the GPU it still won't show anything. I did change the setting to enable multi-monitor on my BIOS like someone suggested but I still got no go.

I'll try different outputs when I come back home in like, 7 hours.

jay_red

Commendable
Mar 3, 2016
doing a bit of searching, it would seem there are more than a few cases of no video from this specific motherboard. I found this post with some info on the bios settings to check:

"In the BIOS under Settings\Advanced\Integrated Graphics Configuration, make sure Virtu Technology is Disabled, Initiate Graphics Adapter is PEG and IGD Multi-Monitor is Disabled. This will disable the CPU's internal graphics altogether. If you want to be able to use the CPU internal graphics along with your installed video card at the same time, you would need to set Virtu to Enabled, Initiate to IGD and IGD Multi to enabled and then install the Virtu driver software under Windows on you computer."

Solution

anime_lover713

Reputable
Dec 1, 2014

Woah woah hold on, the CPU is involved in this? I thought the motherboard had its own graphics card integrated with it, not on the cpu.

notea

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
Why dont you just take it to a shop and let them figure it? I mean no disrespect but you obviously dont know much about hardware as you didnt know what a PCIe slot was, you have to be very careful when handling PC hardware as static electricity which builds up in your body (due to friction from clothes) can easily damage a component. And did you connect the 6 Pin PCIe power connector to the GPU? if you still wanna try to fix it yourself, do the following:
1. Disconnect GPU and use the integrated GPU (Motherboard)
2. Go into bios and select Primary Display Adapter = PCIe
3. Save and exit.
4. Power off the PC and install the GPU making sure all required cables (Display cable and PCIe Power connector) are properly connected.
5. Power on the PC, and see if the GPU fans are spinning, if not and there is no display, the GPU is dead

anime_lover713

Reputable
Dec 1, 2014

Cuz 1.) At the time when I was learning about this was more than 2 years ago when it was built, I haven't touched it to upgrade it till 2 months ago which leads to #2

2.) If you have so much stuff going on especially with work, school and not to mention a concussion, yeah that stuff can make you forget.

3.) I'd rather use that as a last option but also want to save money and not get ripped off.

4.) I know the rest, and just to let you know, I made sure to ground myself everytime I was working on the insides constantly, wore less clothing to minimize static generating, stay away from cotton, etc. Of course I forgot about the PCIe slots, last time I touched or dealt with them was more than 2 years ago which leads to #2.

I mean no disrespect but that was kind of a silly thing to say.

notea

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011

for quite sometime now, all intel CPUs have their iGPUs on the CPU not the motherboard

TRENDING THREADS