[SOLVED] Graphics Card Intermittently Losing Output

Dec 15, 2020
The computer I built six years ago started recently to intermittently lose graphics card output, especially when there is a minor movement and/or vibration of the chassis. The computer stays on after monitors go out.

If I reboot the computer, there is a 50/50 chance it starts as normal or gives a black screen with "PLEASE POWER DOWN AND CONNECT THE PCIe POWER CABLE(S) FOR THIS GRAPHICS CARD.". In the latter case, I simply have to unplug and plug back the 6-pin cable on my graphics card.

My graphics card is a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 Windforce and my PSU is a Thermaltake TR2 600 W. More details are in my signature. This build has been running without a problem in the past years.

Here are things I have tried/ruled out:
  1. Two of my monitors always lose signals simultaneously. Therefore, it is not a monitor or HDMI cable/connector problem.
  2. I switched to a different 6-pin connector on the same PSU. The problem persisted.
  3. I managed to record one incident using HWINFO. Only GPU D3D Usage, GPU Computing, and PCIe Link Speed dropped to 0. No abrupt change in any other sensors.
  4. Nothing is visibly loose inside the chassis after any incident.
Any idea what else I should try?