[SOLVED] Graphics Card Is Not Detected / No Display When GPU Is Plugged In

ModernKamikaze

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012
Backstory: Symptoms came earlier this week when I tried playing Dead Space. The screen would pixelate every time I start it up, and even after ending the program my screen would have pixels everywhere (not dead pixels) and have random black shapes flickering appearing at random places when I move the mouse. Fast forward the next day and my PC experienced this pixelation again, as well as a blue screen. note: The pixelation and blue screen was based on what my friend showed me while I was at work.

Any history of problems before?
Yes, once in a while the PC would not turn on, and I would try power cycling to get it to boot up to BIOS. When it happened recently, I was able to get it to boot up by removing and putting back in RAM.

Methods I've tried
  • Followed the procedure suggested by the best solution here. Used DDU to remove AMD Drivers and downloaded the latest drivers for my GPU. Then I realized I couldn't update my drivers if my GPU is not detected OR get the monitor to display using onboard while the GPU is plugged in.
  • Held the power button for 60 sec while everything is unplugged.
  • Reset the BIOS. removed the CMOS battery (replaced it), cleared the jumper.
  • Tested another GPU (5570), same result as current
  • Tested one stick of RAM only
  • Priority boot to PCIe
  • Used an eraser to clean the contacts of the GPU (getting desperate)
Observations
  • PC would boot up if I unplugged but not removed, the GPU. It would use the onboard VGA to connect to the monitor. I've tried it multiple times, as long as the GPU was not connected, the PC would run fine.
  • POST is fine, GPU has fans running, and LED is lit green.
What I'm thinking now, is that it could be the PCIe that's not working properly or PSU is not supplying power to the GPU. I couldn't rule out if GPU is fried since the other GPU wasn't working as well when it should.

Specs:
i3-2120
Antec NeoEco 520C PSU
ASUS P8H61-M LX
CoolerMaster Elite 311+
G.SKILL 8GB RAM
WD Blue 500GB
ASUS HD 2GB 7770

Last edited:
Solution
Hm... did think it might be a graphics card issue. Sounds like you've reseated the graphics card, correct?

Have you used MemTest to check whether RAM is fine? You mention RAM as being a possible factor but I'm not certain whether it has been ruled out as a possibility.

Are the BIOS settings for using the graphics card correctly assigned? I.e. set to use the graphics card rather than onboard/integrated.

Have you checked a hardware monitor, eg. HWiNFO, for the voltage readings under the motherboard section? This will give some idea as to whether the PSU is working correctly.

Not by all means comprehensive, but some starting points hopefully.
Hm... did think it might be a graphics card issue. Sounds like you've reseated the graphics card, correct?

Have you used MemTest to check whether RAM is fine? You mention RAM as being a possible factor but I'm not certain whether it has been ruled out as a possibility.

Are the BIOS settings for using the graphics card correctly assigned? I.e. set to use the graphics card rather than onboard/integrated.

Have you checked a hardware monitor, eg. HWiNFO, for the voltage readings under the motherboard section? This will give some idea as to whether the PSU is working correctly.

Solution

ModernKamikaze

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012

I haven't tried MemTest but have downloaded it already, how do you use it?

When I try to boot prioritize to GPU it resets back to "Auto".

Here's the voltage readings for my motherboard based on HWiNFO.

Should be instructions on the website for Memtest. Been a while since I've used it but if memory serves you have to save it to a USB stick, plug in, then boot from it so it runs from USB. Depending on the amount of RAM you may need to leave it to run overnight (8 passes is considered good).

Voltage readings seem fine; at least there's nothing there which raises an immediate concern.