Graphics Card Issue with OS (+ Maybe Processor?)

Orlando_8

Commendable
Dec 30, 2016
So I recently updated from Windows 8 to 8.1, but forgot that my Nvidia drivers are still the 8.0 version, so now I constantly get the screen flickering within 30 seconds to a minute of logging in. I know I need to uninstall the drivers, restart first?, then install the right one, but my screen gets to the flickering issue too quickly for me to get through the control panel process. I've tried safe mode but that actually gets to the flickering fast. I also unfortunately have no restore points apparently. I believe what some people do is go to device manager, display adapters, and disable theirs then restart and that possibly works, but since my knowledge of that is limited I'd rather not disable it without knowing what I'm doing.

To top that off, I have an i7, and after the update it said "it may be incompatible with the newer version of Windows since the i7 was made for newer versions of windows," yet my 8.0 never said that, so is this something to not really worry about?

I should have mentioned he screen flickering is accompanied with I can't browse files, see my task bar or desktop. So I can't just open control panel. I've tried restarting and racing time but I never beat it.

Orlando_8

Commendable
Dec 30, 2016

A fresh install? Could you elaborate? If you mean like straight up downloading the up-to-date driver for my graphics card, I'd rather not until I get rid of the old one. Because for now I can't use my browser and open new windows and google, but that's about it.

Orlando_8

Commendable
Dec 30, 2016

I unfortunately don't have the Windows disc to reinstall it. And wouldn't that lose all my files and start it fresh? If push comes to shove my final decision is to reset to factory but I'd rather not do that if all I need to do is somehow get rid of my old graphics drivers and download the new ones.

Orlando_8

Commendable
Dec 30, 2016

An Asus Strix Z270F Motherboard. Why do I need to remove the GPU? As of right now it probably wouldn't be a good idea for me to try to open up my case on my own or with little experience. I'm considering just resetting it to factory form, which would in turn remove all of my files and what not? Would that have any effect on the hardware and what not, or I simply have to reinstall my drivers?

Orlando_8

Commendable
Dec 30, 2016

While this may possibly work I may have found a solution near that, so I managed to uninstall my old driver, noticed my videos stopped working, restarted, installed the right one, and now I'll just be waiting it through to see if my screen flickers. I appreciate your help.

Orlando_8

Commendable
Dec 30, 2016

Alright, nope, didn't work sadly, it lasted a very long time but eventually flickered.

Orlando_8

Commendable
Dec 30, 2016

I'll give that one to you, it was partially right. I had conflicting driver issues from having upgraded my GPU and changed my motherboard, thus was resolved when I reset my OS back to original Windows 8.