Graphics card issues

Oct 2, 2018
So i recently upgraded my graphics card for my dell opitplex 780 to a Radeon hd 8570 or something along those lines. The graphics works fine but i had to buy a dvi to vga adapter and i put the adapter in and the quality has gone down and i cant play any games and it like having the regular integrated graphics. Is it the adapters fault or am i doing something wrong?

Until you install the driver, Windows will run the card as "Standard VGA Adapter" or "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" software mode with all hardware acceleration disabled (hence why you can't play any games or run in native resolution).

Download and install the driver.

Oct 2, 2018
where can i find the driver?

VGA using the 15-pin D-sub connectors on both ends does allow the monitor's EDID to be queried across the cable. Four of the 15 pins were reserved for this, and two more for power and ground so the monitor can still be queried when it is powered off (those are what those active adapters improperly tap into--the circuit is only speced to carry 0.5 watts).

This cannot be done if even one end of the cable is of the 5-BNC type. In that case the resolution and refresh rate must be configured manually.