Graphics card making rattling noise.

David005

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014
I have been having this problem with my graphics card where whenever I play games the graphics card will start making this rattling/vibrating/buzzing sound in my pc. I have opened the case to help locate the problem, and found if I hold the card tightly with my hand or slightly push the card up the noise seems to stop. I believe the card is just vibrating metal on metal, but I would really like to find a way to get it to stop due to the noise being incredibly bad sounding. Thanks.
Graphics Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202125

Solution
I have this problem on my Sapphire R290 Tri-X also, it's the shroud of the fans rattling against the heatsink at certain RPM's. You can't fix it by RMA, you will just get the same problem, I think it's a slight design flaw. You can fix it by putting small rubber washers under the fan screws on each fan, there are 3 per fan IIRC. It's not a damaged card nor will it damage the card nor is the performance faulty, just an annoying sound you can fix :)

Rayven2

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014
Hmm, those are generally pretty good cards however they are really long. When you say push the card up what do you mean? Are you pushing it downwards onto the the PCI slot or pulling it up slightly?

David005

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014

It doesn't matter. Whichever way I push it as long as it is firmly pushed against a surface the noise seems to stop. I feel like the card is just for some reason loose. Also, I have been playing H1Z1 and have been getting very fast white "Flickers" on my monitor quite often. I would just like to know if this is common. Thanks.

chris_igz

Reputable
Jan 23, 2015
I have this problem on my Sapphire R290 Tri-X also, it's the shroud of the fans rattling against the heatsink at certain RPM's. You can't fix it by RMA, you will just get the same problem, I think it's a slight design flaw. You can fix it by putting small rubber washers under the fan screws on each fan, there are 3 per fan IIRC. It's not a damaged card nor will it damage the card nor is the performance faulty, just an annoying sound you can fix :)

Solution

Rayven2

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014

The flickering would be the card, it sounds like it's a bit unstable and maybe slightly damaged, especially if you let it rattle around for ages... The only thing you can really do is make sure it's more stable and that the PCI slot isn't damaged, if you have another 3.0 slot you might even want to put the GPU in there.

David005

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014
I thinks im just going to try and return the graphics card. I figure if I am paying this much for a card it should at least come without problems. I think im going to pay a bit more a get a Gtx 970.