Question Graphics card maxing out randomly during games and capping frames at around 1 - 3 ?

Jun 17, 2022
Hey guys, i have a ryzen 7 2700x, 16 gigs of ddr4 and a MSI gtx 970. This has given me no problems for years but the past 3 or 4 months, i can be playing games varying from horizon zero dawn, csgo, the cycle frontier, anything and sometimes i can physically hear my graphics card make a sound for each frame when it drops to 3. Like i open my task manager and my gpu usage shoots up from like 50 - 100 and i can hear each individual frame rattle in my gpu, idk what to do because i cant afford a new gpu at the moment, so if theres a quick fix / any help you guys can offer please do, thank you:)

Jun 17, 2022
brand and model of the psu?
cpu/gpu temp and usage during the game?
malware scan the system?

PSU:
HuntKey LW-655OHG

CPU temp is 100 percent normal, usage also checks out
GPU temp stays around 50 - 70 which is also extremely normal for my system running a game of this caliber.

The GPU is absolutely fine and then out of the blue my frames will cap at 3. My computer and everything in the background is running smoothly. I check task manager and my gpu, still at normal temperatures, is at 90 - 100 percent usage constantly. Usually in other games id be able to swap resolution from fullscreen to windowed and back and it would solve the problem but now the only way is to restart the game.

Malware scan:
i have just run a quick scan on Microsoft defender, came out with no threats but im now running a full scan and i will let you know the results as i know them.