Graphics Card MSI GTX 960 Stopped working

Sep 10, 2018
Good Afternoon all, First time poster here.

Last night I was playing a game on my computer. When I was finished i closed the application, shut down discord (online chat) app, and got ready for bed (around 10 minutes total). When I came back, I noticed my computer's resolution had changed drastically. It went from the 1920 (the high HD one) resolution down to the 400x600 (Very large everything). I noticed my graphics card's (GTX 960) fans weren't spinning. It was at this point I assumed there was a hardware malfunction and the computer resorted to using the integrated graphics from my motherboard. I went into computer > properties > device manager > display adapters; and noticed that there was a yellow exclamation on my GTX 960, and the integrated graphics showed that it was working properly. When i clicked on the GTX 960 properties it says "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (Code 43). I will provide a picture of this error code to this thread. However, there was still a display output to my monitor even though my display port cord was plugged into the GTX960. I wasn't able to change the resolution back to 1920 until i used an HDMI to my mobo to display using integrated graphics. I already tried restarting my computer hard and soft reset multiple times. I also updated my bios to the latest. When I start my computer up, the dual fans on my 960 start running but as soon as windows gets to the log on screen, the fans stop. So since I can still see a display on my monitor, is my rig pushing integrated graphics through my 960?
Also, not sure if this helps but, the MSI logo on the front of my graphics card does still light up. If the GPU is broken, I'm not sure if that still lights up or not. I've been gaming on my rig for about 6-8 months for about maybe 2-3 hours a night, I haven't changed anything recently, so I'm not sure what it could be. I have updated the bios like I said, and all NVIDIA drivers are updated as well. I'm running the latest windows update as well.

I'm wondering 1 of 2 things
1) Is my graphics card broken? or

2) is the PCI port on my motherboard broken?

I'd hate to buy a new graphics card when its the actual motherboard that is having an issue.
I also do not have another computer in the house to test my 960 on, and I also don't have another graphics card to test the PCI slot on my motherboard. Money is tight right now so unfortunately I don't have the extra funds to purchase things to test either of those out.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel i5-4790k
Motherboard: gigabyte z97x gaming 7
GPU: MSI GAMING GTX 960 2GB OC Twin Frozr-V
SSD:Samsung 850 EVO 120GB SSD
HD: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM
Power: Corsair CX Series 600 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80

Attaching some pictures to help

https://imgur.com/q0vjgFr
https://imgur.com/lWP41pT
https://imgur.com/euDK70A

Solution
You can always test a different PCIe slot on your motherboard. If Windows is reporting an error with the card. It is probably the card. You can also try flashing a new firmware to the GPU. Since you tried your BIOS already.

If you have a USB flash drive. You can try Ubuntu and see if it works right. If you have another HDD or are willing to reformat your HDD. You can try installing Ubuntu. If it works fine in Linux and perhaps some cheap Linux compatible game in Steam. It could be a Windows issue.

I couldn't say when the light turns on in the GPU. I believe they just turn on if the GPU is on. It doesn't indicate it is working properly. Just that it has power and is communicating with the motherboard.

Integrated graphics don't push...
You can always test a different PCIe slot on your motherboard. If Windows is reporting an error with the card. It is probably the card. You can also try flashing a new firmware to the GPU. Since you tried your BIOS already.

If you have a USB flash drive. You can try Ubuntu and see if it works right. If you have another HDD or are willing to reformat your HDD. You can try installing Ubuntu. If it works fine in Linux and perhaps some cheap Linux compatible game in Steam. It could be a Windows issue.

I couldn't say when the light turns on in the GPU. I believe they just turn on if the GPU is on. It doesn't indicate it is working properly. Just that it has power and is communicating with the motherboard.

Integrated graphics don't push through your GPU.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS