Graphics card not detected in Bios or Device manager

phb07jm

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
I've been having difficulty with graphics cards recently. I had a power supply fail a couple of weeks ago and when the new PSU arrived I found my graphics card wasn't showing up in device manager.

I figured the PSU took the card down with it so I went out and bought a new card. It's not showing up either. Now I'm wondering if it might be a dodgy PSU or MOBO? I'm stumped because the PSU is brand new and otherwise seems fine. The MOBO has 3 16-pin PCI slots and I've tried all three to no avail.

I'm not sure if the card is recognised in BIOS. No reference to the specific hardware but PCI is an option in the default graphics setting.

I've already tried:
1. Reading the troubleshooting guides on this forum
2. Resetting the BIOS
3. Minimal setup: PSU, MOBO, 1 RAM stick, GPU
4. Clean install of windows 10
5. Switching the BIOS to PCI graphics first
6. Uninstalling the onboard graphics drivers
7. Installing the NVIDIA drivers while using the onboard graphics - (unable to install as the hardware is not detected)

I'm not sure where to go from here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

New Card: MSI GEFORCE GTX1060 3GB
Old Card: HD Radeon 6870
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-z77x-3dh

Solution
I would test the GPU in another system if you have one. That is the most clear cut thing you can do if all else fails. Though I know people don't just leave test benches like that lying around.

phb07jm

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012

Hi dshort01, thanks for your response.

Yes, I've reset the BIOS by shorting the jumpers on the MB. On reboot I get a pop-up telling me the BIOS had been reset to optimised defaults.

Yes, I've tried all three slots

Yes, I'm sure it's plugged in. It's only one 6 pin connector (plus the 16-pin PCI connection). The GPU fans spin up when the system powers on.

NiaNia

Honorable
Sep 30, 2015
I would test the GPU in another system if you have one. That is the most clear cut thing you can do if all else fails. Though I know people don't just leave test benches like that lying around.

Solution