[SOLVED] Graphics card not detected on motherboard

May 18, 2021
Motherboard: Asus Prime Z370-A
GPU: MSI Gaming X 8G Geforce GTX 1080 (8GB)
CPU: Intel Core i5-8600k @ 3.60 GHz
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 32GB 3400MHz
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3 650W
Bios Version: 3003

I recently replaced the thermal paste for my CPU cooler which also resulted in me taking out a few other parts within the motherboard. When I put everything back together I noticed that there was no signal coming out of the monitors. I plugged one monitor in through the integrated graphics and I was able to get into BIOS/Windows that way.
The problem is, neither the BIOS or Windows is detecting that I have my graphics card connected-- the bios shows that nothing is connected to the PCI-E slots. I've tried moving the graphics card to another slot, but it still doesn't get detected. I've made sure that my card is completely connected into the slot and my power supply cables are completely connected into the card-- the LEDs and the logo light on the card appears to be on, but the fans aren't moving.

I've tried these methods but they have not worked:
  • Resetting CMOS
  • Changing PCI-E Slot
  • Re-installing GPU drivers (Hardware not detected)
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
That narrows it down to your gpu, i'd test it in another pc to be sure (with a quality PSU with sufficient wattage)

if it doesn't work there, its your 1080 for sure, if not, replace your current PSU
Alright so the other day I brought my card out to a Micro Center to get it tested and troubleshooted and apparently the card is actually fine.

So basically that narrowed it down to my PSU. Turns out that the VGA cable was disconnected from the power supply which pretty much explained everything...
Anyway, everything works now! Thanks for your help! I guess I'll mark this as solved.
Motherboard: Asus Prime Z370-A
GPU: MSI Gaming X 8G Geforce GTX 1080 (8GB)
CPU: Intel Core i5-8600k @ 3.60 GHz
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 32GB 3400MHz
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3 650W
Bios Version: 3003

I recently replaced the thermal paste for my CPU cooler which also resulted in me taking out a few other parts within the motherboard. When I put everything back together I noticed that there was no signal coming out of the monitors. I plugged one monitor in through the integrated graphics and I was able to get into BIOS/Windows that way.
The problem is, neither the BIOS or Windows is detecting that I have my graphics card connected-- the bios shows that nothing is connected to the PCI-E slots. I've tried moving the graphics card to another slot, but it still doesn't get detected. I've made sure that my card is completely connected into the slot and my power supply cables are completely connected into the card-- the LEDs and the logo light on the card appears to be on, but the fans aren't moving.

I've tried these methods but they have not worked:
  • Resetting CMOS
  • Changing PCI-E Slot
  • Re-installing GPU drivers (Hardware not detected)
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
try putting the card in a different pc, does it work there?

May 18, 2021
Unfortunately my close relative has a computer but hasn’t set it up yet.

I do, however, have an old GTX 1050 lying around. I’m doing a clean driver install to see it it works properly. My main monitor doesn’t seem to be picking up its signal.

Edit: The motherboard detects my 1050 just fine. A clean driver install brings a signal to both of my monitors.

Unfortunately my close relative has a computer but hasn’t set it up yet.

I do, however, have an old GTX 1050 lying around. I’m doing a clean driver install to see it it works properly. My main monitor doesn’t seem to be picking up its signal.

Edit: The motherboard detects my 1050 just fine. A clean driver install brings a signal to both of my monitors.
That narrows it down to your gpu, i'd test it in another pc to be sure (with a quality PSU with sufficient wattage)

if it doesn't work there, its your 1080 for sure, if not, replace your current PSU

May 18, 2021

Alright so the other day I brought my card out to a Micro Center to get it tested and troubleshooted and apparently the card is actually fine.

So basically that narrowed it down to my PSU. Turns out that the VGA cable was disconnected from the power supply which pretty much explained everything...
Anyway, everything works now! Thanks for your help! I guess I'll mark this as solved.

Solution