Question Graphics card not functioning?

H4mmerhead

Reputable
Feb 14, 2015
Hello,

I have a problem that i hope someone on here can help me out with.
I while back my monitors suddenly went completely black, and i couldn't get them back while plugged into my GPU. ( I am currently running on on-board graphics)
I should also add that the board explorer on my MSI motherboard shows that the PSI-E slot is empty.

Before i sent it in, i tried the following myself:
  • That the GPU had power, which it has.
  • That the GPU fan is spinning, which it is.
  • Checked the PSU cables and that all cables were connected correctly.
  • Uninstall all graphics drivers, and reinstalling them.
  • Tried the 2nd PSI-E slot, which showed up as empty as well in BIOS.
  • Switching the cables up on the monitors, all works fine.

Now the weird thing is, i sent both the motherboard and the GPU back to the company i bought it from for testing. And i received them back, saying that they worked fine.
I am at a loss, and have absolutely no idea what to do. I am unable to play any games because i am on onboard graphics.

Specs:
  • MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition
  • HyperX Beast 16GB
  • Intel i7 4790k @ 4,6GHz
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 780
  • Corsair HX 750W PSU
  • Corsair H100 V2 Liquid Cooler
  • Seagate Barracuda 1TB
  • Corsair Force Series SSD 120GB

If anyone has any ideas, i am very grateful.

Best regards.

H4mmerhead

Reputable
Feb 14, 2015
Have you used the same display cable for both GPU and onboard graphics? If not, try a different cable.
How long have you had PSU?
Do you have latest BIOS installed?
Hello,
yes i am using the same cables, and i've tried switching them out, but they all work. I've had the PSU since 2013 i believe when i bought it new, never had problems with it. And i believe i have the latest BIOS, i'll check that. Thanks.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hello,
yes i am using the same cables, and i've tried switching them out, but they all work. I've had the PSU since 2013 i believe when i bought it new, never had problems with it. And i believe i have the latest BIOS, i'll check that. Thanks.
Is the HX PSU a Platinum model?
Because if not, the HX series have a 7 year warranty. So it is moving to the end of it's warranty period and PSUs have a shelf life. Just to be wary of.

H4mmerhead

Reputable
Feb 14, 2015
Is the HX PSU a Platinum model?
Because if not, the HX series have a 7 year warranty. So it is moving to the end of it's warranty period and PSUs have a shelf life. Just to be wary of.
No, it's a ''Plus Gold'', any probability of the PSU causing these issues? Also i just just updated my BIOS to the latest version, which did nothing in regards to my problem.