[SOLVED] Graphics card not long enough?

ethanwpick

Commendable
Oct 27, 2019
I have recently started building a PC for my moms business. not meant for anything graphically intensive so I purchased a 1GB MSI GT710 from amazon that said it was a pciex16 and my motherboard (gigabyte b450m dS3H) also has a 16 slot. when i tried to seat it, the cards pins don't travel far enough down the bracket to snap the card into place. It only is about half the length of a pciex16 slot. I have no way to test if this outputs video as I do not have my drive in yet and the PC is not ready to boot. Need to know if I need a new GPU or if it doesn't need to snap into place.

Solution
yes that card could not use the whole PCIe bus at x16, it only uses half the card because that is all the card needs. it does plug into a full sized slot.
you can install a PCIe x1 card in ax16 slot in the same way, only the pins needed will connect.
plug it in. secure the screws, its short enough to not use the security clip at the end of the slot.
for clarification you have this card
iu

not this one
iu

they are the...

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
yes that card could not use the whole PCIe bus at x16, it only uses half the card because that is all the card needs. it does plug into a full sized slot.
you can install a PCIe x1 card in ax16 slot in the same way, only the pins needed will connect.
plug it in. secure the screws, its short enough to not use the security clip at the end of the slot.
iu

not this one
iu

they are the same card with the same performance but the pins on the bottom are dummy pins. does your card even have the security tab?

Solution

ethanwpick

Commendable
Oct 27, 2019
iu

not this one
iu

they are the same card with the same performance but the pins on the bottom are dummy pins. does your card even have the security tab?
Yes I have the half size one. Thank you for clarifying. I was very confused because I assumed it would need to fill the slot. Thanks for the help! Glad I dont need another card