Question Graphics card not performing at maximum.

Mar 17, 2018
I'm having issues with my GPU when trying to play the game 'Apex Legends'.

This problem has been around ever since I installed the game and started playing. One thing that I've realised is that when playing other games I'm getting my fps cap which I have set at 144 (with maximum settings).

But in this game (Apex Legends) I have to have all the graphics set at the lowest and the resolution to something that looks horrible to even get 60FPS.

The GPU that I have is a GTX 780TI 6GB, and I can't see any problems I should have when playing games using this GPU.

Any help would be appreciated to why my GPU isn't performing at what it should be!

Other specs;
i5-6500
Z170X-UD3
Vengeance LPX 8GB 3200Mhz
1TB HDD

Mar 17, 2018
New game, probably just optimization issues.

You can however, check a few things...

-GPU driver up to date?
-CPU/GPU temps? Both should be under 80C while gaming.
I'm receiving 95-100C while in a game.

And what I can't understand is some of my friends with weaker GPU's are still receiving better FPS?

Mar 17, 2018
That's your issue, that temp is way too high for either the CPU or GPU. Sounds like you need to clean the dust from those parts and possibly reapply the thermal paste.

Above 80C either the CPU or GPU will start to thermal throttle so at about 100C it's throttling heavily to prevent damage.
I've dusted out my whole pc with a air duster and still over 90C. I've turned the fan's of the GPU up to try and lower the temperature but still not working.

Mar 17, 2018
The GTX 780ti was released 6 years ago in 2013. It's very possible the thermal paste may have just dried up and it's time to clean it off and apply a fresh coat.
Thanks for the suggestion, I took apart the GPU and removed the old thermal paste with some alcohol and re-applied it fresh in a even amount.

However, I'm still having no luck and my temp is reaching over 90C still.

mgallo848

Commendable
Sorry to hear that.

So far you've
1: Changed the thermal paste
2: Cleaned all case fans/CPU fans/GPU fans

Usually, those are the things needed to help get things under control. I can't think of much else (unless the card is dying then all of these tips won't help)

My last 2 ideas are:

1: If it's overclocked, even from the vendor and not by you try using EVGA Precision or MSI Afterburner and lower it back to stock settings. (stock speeds from Nvidia listed here: https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-780-ti/specifications)

2: Maybe it's getting "dirty" power from your power supply? (Just a guess on this one)

PCMAN

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
Make sure under NVCP
Its set to max performance
And while there i do max refresh rate
I was going to move up but im going to skip RTX line for nowwith 2 SC evga 1080gtx 8 GBmaybe after a 1440p monitor i will but dont think so 1440p can be maxed out 85 -125 aa cap to refresh rate