Graphics card not showing in Device Manager. Drivers won't install?

Kirsten_789

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014
Hi there.

First off, my pc specs:
AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor 3.51Ghz
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
AMD Radeon R9 270x 2GB GPU

So the other day I had disabled driver signature enforcement on my desktop in order to use my PS3 controller on it. I had downloaded an emulator to play PSP games (PPSSPP) and in the middle of gaming, the screen went black and came back on with an error message saying "Device driver has stopped responding and has recovered." It continued to do this so I took the problem to google. Fast forward a couple hours and I uninstalled Catalyst from the control panel and the rest of the AMD/ATI files. I tried installing the correct drivers from AMD's website, install went perfectly fine, rebooted, and got the error "No AMD graphics driver is installed or the AMD driver is not functioning properly." Once again, took the problem to the internet. Uninstalled Catalyst again and tried installing the drivers once more. They were the most recent non-beta drivers. Everything seemed to be going fine but after rebooting I got the error message again. Uninstalled everything again and tried the drivers on the cd that came with my graphics card. All seemed well, no more problems or error messages after reboot. Later shut off my pc for the night and this morning turned it on only to get the same error message. I've been searching for a solution to this for hours now on multiple forums, still no luck. Made sure I have windows sp1 and .NET framework was up to date. Uninstalled the KB 3004394 windows update to try which didn't work either. I'm at such a loss as to what to do and hate having to run my graphics off the standard VGA graphics. Help!!

Solution
Try putting your card in a different PCI-E slot or reseating in existing slot if you only have one available.

Reboot your computer, go into the Bios and make sure primary video is set to your add on card not built in, save and reboot.

As long as your monitor is plugged into AMD card it should come up and Windows should detect new hardware and reinstall as long as it sees the card. If control panel hardware does not see the card then the card could be trashed and the only way to test that is if you can put the card in a different machine and that machine detects it correctly.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Try putting your card in a different PCI-E slot or reseating in existing slot if you only have one available.

Reboot your computer, go into the Bios and make sure primary video is set to your add on card not built in, save and reboot.

As long as your monitor is plugged into AMD card it should come up and Windows should detect new hardware and reinstall as long as it sees the card. If control panel hardware does not see the card then the card could be trashed and the only way to test that is if you can put the card in a different machine and that machine detects it correctly.

Solution

Kirsten_789

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014

I hadn't gotten to trying that yet so I'll definitely do that next. I'll update as soon as I do. Thanks!

Blake C

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014

I'm having the same problem you did. You said that did it. What did it?