Graphics card not working 2 weeks after adding second monitor

poopoopadoop

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
First of all here's my pc:https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zVPb8Y

So about 2 weeks ago I upgraded my monitor to a 144hz and kept my 60hz as a second monitor. Everything worked perfectly for two weeks until they both suddenly turned off while I was using my computer.

Both of the monitors work when plugged into the onboard graphics.

When I looked inside the case I saw that the gpu lights would still turn on but the fans would act strangely. One fan would spin weakly for about 2 seconds and then stop and then the second fan would do the same thing.

When I tried to reinstall the gpu drivers, GeForce experience couldn't detect the gpu.

Has anything similar happened to anyone before?

Solution
Not sounding good for the graphics card, maybe try removing and re installing it and boot windows once without it in between so windows sees the hardware change. But that's grasping at straws a bit. Check the power connections to the card are all well connected as well.

Could be it's failed though, the extra load and heat may have sped things up but if it has died it was going to soon anyway I'd expect. I've just done something similar to my GTX 980 and noticed it started running much hotter so I connected the second screen to my integrated graphics and that seemed to help a little.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
Not sounding good for the graphics card, maybe try removing and re installing it and boot windows once without it in between so windows sees the hardware change. But that's grasping at straws a bit. Check the power connections to the card are all well connected as well.

Could be it's failed though, the extra load and heat may have sped things up but if it has died it was going to soon anyway I'd expect. I've just done something similar to my GTX 980 and noticed it started running much hotter so I connected the second screen to my integrated graphics and that seemed to help a little.

Solution