Graphics Card not working after slight hardware change

Nintendork99

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013
Hey guys,

Last night I noticed my old DVD drive had stopped working so I dug around and found an even older DVD drive with an IDE connecter. My computer is about 6 to 7 years old so my Asus P5Q motherboard did have an EIDE connecter, however when the drive was not detected in my computer, I accidentally plugged the IDE cable into a FDD port. At that point, my BFG GTX 260 would not display on screen through either of its DVI ports. I am using an Insignia HDTV as a monitor but at this point, the VGA input was not getting signal of any kind. I tried switching to HDMI using an adapter and switching to a dedicated computer monitor with no luck. The graphics card is connected, screwed in and has power to it via 2 six pin PCI-E connectors and the fan is spinning. Any ideas because I'm beginning to think my GPU is simply dead after 6+ years...

Solution
Yeah, It is probably coincidence, Its unlikely that plugging it into the wrong input shorted or broke your computer, After 6+ years i would expect any graphics card to fail, but to be honest you need an upgrade, I had that card once in my alienware laptop, once i upgraded to a 560m, games were a lot faster.

Littlesackninja

Reputable
Jun 15, 2014
Yeah, It is probably coincidence, Its unlikely that plugging it into the wrong input shorted or broke your computer, After 6+ years i would expect any graphics card to fail, but to be honest you need an upgrade, I had that card once in my alienware laptop, once i upgraded to a 560m, games were a lot faster.

Solution

Nintendork99

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013
Yeah I do need to upgrade but I was saving up and needed this card to work a couple more months. Good card but old so I'm really looking for ANY possible fixes. If I need to I can upgrade the card but I really wanted to redo my computer all in one go.