Question Graphics Card Not Working After Windows 10 Pro Update

Feb 13, 2019
Hello All, This morning my computer was working fine, played some games, did some homework. Windows 10 needed to update, and did so while the computer was "asleep". I returned later in the day to the following issue (see picture). The computer works fine when the hdmi is plugged directly into the mobo.
AR4liwU.jpg

My system specs:
i5 6600k
MSI z170a Krait
Msi R9 390
16gb Ram

I tried un mounting the video card, i updated the drivers. I have no idea what to do next. I read on this site to try and update the bios, I cant even get into the M-Flash utility. It wont load what so ever.

Last edited:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
That could be an issue with the monitor, or artifacting from the GPU.
Given the iGP doesn't replicate the issue, it seems like the GPU is failing.

As for 'why' this would've happened, I've no clue. Not going to be related to the Windows update, that's for sure.

If you remove the GPU and just run the iGP, can you then access the BIOS to update it? No harm in trying...

Reset the BIOS and reinstall the OS.
Remember to backup your important data, music, pictures, etc...

Given the lockup appears to be the post splash screen, the OS likely doesn't have anything to do with it. Similar story though, no harm in trying.

davidgirgis

Honorable
Feb 24, 2016
Reset the BIOS, reseat the RAM, unplug non-essentials, try the iGPU.
It looks like the BIOS splash screen, but some motherboards replace the Windows loading screen with their own splash screen. Do you see the Windows circle spinning?

Let us know how it goes.

Feb 13, 2019
That could be an issue with the monitor, or artifacting from the GPU.
Given the iGP doesn't replicate the issue, it seems like the GPU is failing.

As for 'why' this would've happened, I've no clue. Not going to be related to the Windows update, that's for sure.

If you remove the GPU and just run the iGP, can you then access the BIOS to update it? No harm in trying...

Given the lockup appears to be the post splash screen, the OS likely doesn't have anything to do with it. Similar story though, no harm in trying.
Reset the BIOS, reseat the RAM, unplug non-essentials, try the iGPU.
It looks like the BIOS splash screen, but some motherboards replace the Windows loading screen with their own splash screen. Do you see the Windows circle spinning?

Let us know how it goes.
Ok, so I tried it on another computer and the same thing happened. I was able to get to the dashboard, then got a blank screen again. Based on what I've read here and elsewhere, the GPU is toast.