Graphics card not working or being detected?

Lucaadubz

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
Hello there,

Well i have had this graphics card for around 4 months now. Working fine this graphics card is the ATI Radeon HD 6850. I unplugged and re plugged my monitor as i wanted to move it then i re plugged it, it was fine. However when i re plugged it back into its normal position my monitor was blank and it said No Signal, so i cleaned my ports and the ends of the wires but it still said no signal! I restarted my computer and put the cable into the video port on the motherboard instead of my graphics card and it worked but i think my computer is using my IGPU as i looked on other forums ti said to use something called Driver Sweeper. I installed this program here http://phyxion.net/ but now for some reason my computer thinks i am using my old graphics card ATI Radeon 4250 which now means i can't play any of my games! I mean my old graphics card is probably in some rubbish tip somewhere and i don't see how my computer can think i have it plugged in when it is my new graphics card that is plugged in! The graphics card is on as the fan is spinning even when i plug it out my computer thinks i am using my old graphics card so it must be my graphics card not being detected? I am really unsure and i have tried everything that i can think of anyway to try and fix this problem (been trying to get it fixed for around a week now( and can't seem to find a solution to this problem! Help would be appreciated thank you!

Lucas

Have you tried Re-Installing the latest Video Card driver for your video card?

If the monitor is not getting a signal from the video card it could mean:
1) The Video Card is dead.
2) The Motherboard BIOS somehow changed to use Integrated Video
3) The Video Input setting on the monitor needs changed.

Most monitors these days have more than one connection on the back. Are you using the same cable to connect to your video card as you are to hook to the motherboard directly? If you are NOT you may need to change the Video Input Source on your monitor so it will recognize the appropriate port that your video card is connected to. This can be done with the menu buttons on the monitor itself.

Lucaadubz

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013

I have uninstalled AMD from my computer disabled and uninstalled the ATI Radeon 4250 from my computer using device manager i then re-inserted my graphics card but when i loaded up my computer it said that ATI Radeon 4250 has been installed! When i try to change the Video Input Source i can click on VGA but the DVI bit is blanked out and i can't click it. The monitor i am using is the ASUS VH197, Thank you for the quick reply!

What kind of computer is this? I'm wondering if the ATI 4250 is the integrated graphic unit. The 4250 is a lower end integrated GPU set I'm fairly sure. In fact there is/was an ATI 4250 Mobility (laptop) GPU. This could be built into your motherboard if there is no physical card inside the system.

If you have uninstalled all the drivers Windows will automatically install it's own drivers for any video processor that's in the system physically.

Is the 6850 card physically installed in the computer right now?

If there's no DVI connection (or no DVI cable connected) it may gray out that selection so you can't click it. Do you normally connect the 6850 to the computer with a DVI cable? If so reconnect that and THEN try to switch the monitor to DVI and see what happens.

Lucaadubz

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
It is one that i made myself around 2 years old, I think it is to but i am not sure at the moment! The 6850 isn't installed at the moment because when i have inserted it my computer just says that ATI Radeon 4250 has been installed not the 6850 which i find really strange! I connect my 6850 to my monitor with a DVI converter thing i just put it into the back of my graphics card and use my normal cable that goes into my monitor, I have tried but when i put the cable into my graphics card then into my monitor it just says no signal and i can't click the menu button as it doesn't work (the menu button on my monitor) then the monitor goes onto standby. But the ATI Radeon 4250 was my old old graphics card that i used two years ago as my budget was low and i just wanted to get it working! By the next christmas i bought the 6850 and threw away the 4250. Maybe the memory of my old graphics card is being used instead of the new one? I am stuck

Okay so you're connecting the 6850 to your computer using a VGA cable with a DVI to VGA adapter on it? Do you have a DVI cable to try out?

Your monitor should let you access it's Menu even if nothing is hooked to it. If it's in standby pressing the menu button should wake it up.

Lucaadubz

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
Yes i am but it has no signal when i do so.I don't have a DVI cable to try out and my monitor won't let me access the menu when it is on standby it just stays on standby and nothing happens.

Short of having a DVI cable to try out, or another computer to put the 6850 into to test... I'd have to guess the video card is dead. I'd say those are the only two things I could suggest trying.

Should have asked this earlier. Do you have both 6pin power connectors hooked up to the video card?

6870Top_575px.jpg

Yes it's still possible it's dead even if the fan spins.

If it only has one 6pin connector that's all you'll need.

You might go into the system BIOS when the system boots up (usually by pressing F8 or Delete during the POST sequence). Find the option to disable the Integrated VGA (if you can). Then reboot with the 6850 installed. See if it'll boot up that way.

If not, does it give any error beeps when you turn it on? Can you tell if Windows is booting up even though the screen is blank? (like the Windows music sound)

It would be odd to have the GPU simply die when you physically moved the computer. But nothing is impossible.

Lucaadubz

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
I have done what you have said but i can't find an option to do so! It doesn't give any indication that windows is starting up and the windows sound doesn't come up, could there be a possibility that my computer is using data that is on my hard drive for my old graphics card? As the ATI Radeon 4250 that seems to be the display adapter in device manager is my old graphics card? This can't be the IGPU if my bios settings are set to PCI-E slot instead of integrated?

It's very well possible the 6850 is just dead. Without being able to test it in another system I'm not sure what else to have you do.

You could try using Driver Sweeper from Guru3D.com to remove all nVidia and AMD drivers. I really don't know why your system keeps trying to install the old card that isn't there unless your motherboard is using an AMD/ATI chipset that's integrated.

Even if that's the case there's not much reason for the 6850 NOT to allow the system to boot unless it's dead.

EDIT: One last thought. If your motherboard has more than one PCI-Express slot you might try putting the 6850 in a different slot and see if that changes things. Beyond that I don't know what else you could try.

Lucaadubz

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
Okay thank you for the help it probably is dead but thank you anyway! I will try and see what i can do but my motherboard only has one PCI-Express slot, i will just have to get a new graphics card it was old anyway!

nVidia just released the new GTX 760 today for $250 US. Not a bad option. Here's a review with benchmarks to compare with other video cards.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_760/

Depending on the rest of your system specs (CPU, Motherboard, RAM, monitor resolution, etc) I don't know if it's THE card for you or not granted.