Graphics Card Not Working

Cyrotronix

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014
I am upgrading a computer and have run into a bit of difficulty. The PC is a HP Pavilion P7-1423W and I am attempting to put in a video card. The card I am trying to use is an EVGA GTX650. I know right away the machine needed a better PSU, that's already installed and operational. However, when I install the graphics card and boot the machine up I get nothing but a black screen.

My speculation is that this is a bad PCI slot. As I've put the card into another machine to test it and ensure it isn't the card. When in the other machine it operates just fine.

But before I go replacing the motherboard (as it only has the one PCI Express 16 slot) I wanted to see if anyone has had experience with this particular model, or a similar situation in general that they have solved without replacing the motherboard.

benftf

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
Seat the card, boot in to your BIOS, and check your PCI device list, make sure it is there. If it's not, you know it's the slot. If it does show up, make sure you are using an analog signal without any drivers loaded first (i.e. VGA or DVI). For some cards, HDMI won't work unless the driver is installed. That was the case with my 670. Also, try using a driver cleaning program, like Guru3D has, to get rid of the integrated drivers and then see if you can get your card to work.

Cyrotronix

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014

I've given these things a try, still no luck. All I get is a black screen so long as the video card is seated. It doesn't send a signal of any kind to the monitor, whether it is plugged into the video card or the integrated graphics port. But once the card is removed from the system then it works fine with the integrated video.

benftf

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
There is some sort of communication conflict between your pci slot and the card then. If it works in another comp but not your current one, its the mobo. If you have the card seated and it won't even work with the integrated port, it's the pci sot. If you didn't dust out the port before installing the card, that can cause issues like this.

I think you already posted that you did the following, but just in case:
Did you remove the old video card using Device Manager> Display adapters>Uninstall?
If not, then put the old card back in and see if it fires up: If it does then follow the above path and uninstall it; shut down the PC, then remove it an install the new card. When you install the NV drivers choose custom install and do a 'clean install".
It also is possible that the PCI-E power from the PSU is not completely seated, but you should still get a signal and some warning on your screen.
One last very simple thing, something that is easily overlooked and makes all of us feel stupid when we do it: Is the monitor plugged into the video card, and not the onboard/motherboard connection?

TRENDING THREADS