[SOLVED] Graphics card on the second PCIE Slot! Is this a problem (new builder)

griffs_build_guide

Prominent
Jun 16, 2020
Hello all, I am new to PC building and have a question pertaining to the GPU in my first ever build!
I'm rocking a triple fan EVGA FTW3 ULTRA 2080s. For some reason when I installed it into the first PCIE slot like a normal builder would, my mobo flashed white. Tried to change some more things but the only thing that worked was moving my GPU down to the second PCIE slot. I saw on youtube that this happened to someone else with the same card.. I also had to use 2 seperate PCIE cables instead of one with the extra pigtail -- as EVGA themselves suggested.

btw my mobo is a ASUS TUF x570 wifi
I've thought about trying to put my gpu back up on the 1st pcie slot but don't want to damage anything
I've found that in most cases the biggest claim is that since the graphics card is now further from my CPU the performance is lessened. This for the most part doesn't seem to be true though..

MY MAIN QUESTION: To be brief, I just want to know if my graphics card will run smoothly and also be cooled well now that its lower to the floor of my case. I also haven't gotten into any overclocking I just want to make sure that since I haven't seen many people put their GPU in the second slot that this is okay. I have my CPU cooler mounted to the front of my case. Two fans on the ceiling. And one exhaust in the back. My PSU fan is also facing the bottom of my GPU which is intake I believe.

No fan is blowing directly under my GPU.. besides my PSU.. but I think it's def getting some decent intake. I played a couple games of Valorant (not exactly gpu intensive but) and noticed the fans on my GPU weren't even at 50% and the card was sitting at 52-58 degrees C.

This video card is monstrous to say the least and is close to the bottom of my case.. about 2 inches
as of rn making this post my gpu is idle at 37C.. I might just b paranoid plz let me know lol

Please help!
stay safe out there

Solution
A. You should not see any performance loss due to being farther away from the CPU

B. 2 inches of space between your card and the bottom of the case is fine

I own a 2060 KO and a 2080 Founders Edition and use them both in the same case (gaming & folding@home). For a while the 2080 FE occupied the first PCIe slot and the 2060 KO occupied the one beneath which only left 1 slot between the two cards for air flow. Temps were just fine. You have significantly more room underneath your card and your case has good airflow.

If you want the temps to be lower, you can always install MSI afterburner and create your own fan profile that cause the fans to spin up more aggressively.
A. You should not see any performance loss due to being farther away from the CPU

B. 2 inches of space between your card and the bottom of the case is fine

I own a 2060 KO and a 2080 Founders Edition and use them both in the same case (gaming & folding@home). For a while the 2080 FE occupied the first PCIe slot and the 2060 KO occupied the one beneath which only left 1 slot between the two cards for air flow. Temps were just fine. You have significantly more room underneath your card and your case has good airflow.

If you want the temps to be lower, you can always install MSI afterburner and create your own fan profile that cause the fans to spin up more aggressively.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS