Graphics card only works in 1x and the others won't boot properly.

ZackBack

Reputable
Apr 19, 2015
Hey there, my GPU will only work for 1x slot.
Whenever I put my GPU at the other slots I get code of : 1 long and 2 short beeps (then resets itself)

Heres my specs (While running GW2):
VTQLpe3.jpg

Imgur link

ZackBack

Reputable
Apr 19, 2015

It's actualy not a new build. I had this one for a long time. Then I moved to a new place, plugged the pc in and had the beep error (1 long 2 short beeps) So I tried different slots for the GPU till one worked with no errors.
Not sure but the info on PCI-E says my Max.Supported is 16x but Link width is at 1X (The current slot I use)
http://imgur.com/W0ZPQb0

Wolfshadw

Titan
Guessing that something got jostled when you moved the computer. If the graphics card does not work in the top PCI-Ex16 slot, then I'd suspect the motherboard has failed. Test your graphics card in another computer to verify that it works as it should. In your build, consider removing everything (including the motherboard from the case) and rebuild it, checking your spacers before returning the board to the case. If the build still doesn't post with the graphics card in the top PCI-Ex16 slot, then I'd recommend RMA the motherboard.

-Wolf sends

ZackBack

Reputable
Apr 19, 2015

Ye it might be the motherboard or but it works just fine and nothing is broken it seems, or maybe the othe slots broke? But it seems unlikely and odd.
Also, what's the meaning of the 16x @ x1? Do I get the full X16? or is it just X1? I posted a pic on how it looks (cpu-z)

ZackBack

Reputable
Apr 19, 2015

Wait, you mean the opposite? sees my x1 as x16? cuz I'm using almost the farthest slot from CPU (one before last)
Does it mean that it's ok to assume I'm getting the best speed or the worst?

Wolfshadw

Titan
No. I mean what I stated. Your motherboard is only reporting that PCI-Ex16 slot as a PCI-Ex1 slot. Look at the top-down image provided in the link you gave above. If you have your graphics card installed in the slot, second from the left, that *IS* a Gen 2.0 PCI-Ex16 slot (that part is being read correctly), but it still only sees it as a PCI-Ex1 slot.

I didn't see much in the manual concerning those slots.

-Wolf sends

ZackBack

Reputable
Apr 19, 2015

I searched it up and it seems to be a bug. ( I haven't found many results about that):
http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=522

Sadly my BIOS does not have any of the things listed there to change.

ZackBack

Reputable
Apr 19, 2015

Could you throw me some suggestions to try ? I don't know... if motherboard was broken or damaged, I couldn't run the pc at all.
Perhaps a better PSU? since my cooler on CPU requires 500w I think and my PSU only has 650w capacity (?)
I could try and buy a new PSU.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Test the graphics card and power supply, separately in another computer. If they both work, then try them together in another computer. If they work, then I would assume that neither is the problem in your current system.

Return both the graphics card and power supply to your current system, configured so it boots up. Now shut it down and remove all but one RAM module and then reboot. It should still come up. Shut down the system and move that RAM module into the next RAM slot and reboot again. Repeat this until the RAM module has been tested in each RAM slot and then repeat again for each RAM module; taking note of any boot failures.

-Wolf sends

ZackBack

Reputable
Apr 19, 2015

unfortunately I cannot get any other GPU or motherboard at my hands..
I might go to a professional to inspect it, but it seems such a minor problem.

InvalidError

Titan
I would be inclined to go with the damaged motherboard theory: if the PC got bumped around somewhat hard with a large and heavy GPU or CPU heatsink installed, the motherboard may have warped and some solder joints or balls on motherboard components, the slot or socket may have broken.

ZackBack

Reputable
Apr 19, 2015
OK so after messing around with the CPU and GPU (Cleaning and reapplying Thermal Paste) I no longer get the beeps ( 1 long 2 short beeps) but a no display, no beep and no beep, maybe it means an easier problem to solve?

Some folks over the MSI Forum say it may be related to CPU socket , but I'm afraid to open the case again since I had many problem the last time I did it.

I looked over the MSI beep codes page and there's nothing mentioning about NO beep and no display (it does not shut down just won't boot)
https://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/bios-beep-codes

TRENDING THREADS