Graphics card only works in safe mode

Delky

Reputable
May 12, 2014
So i recently moved from Florida to Wisconsin and the moves kinda manhandled my computer into not working.

Let me define the problem and then list what I have done to try and fix it.

Problem:

If I try to boot my computer normally I get a blue screen saying "Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed". BUT... if I run in safe mode with the onboard drivers my computer loads up fine.

What I have done:

1. Uninstalled the graphics card and drivers... then restarted and reinstalled the newest ones.
2. Pulled out my gtx 570... checked my entire computer for loose components... then reinserted the card and retested.
3. Put my gtx 570 in my other 3 PCI slots.
4. COMPLETELY WIPED MY HARD DRIVE and installed a clean copy of a a windows 64 bit operating system.

After all that I still get the same blue screen of death.

I want to say I need a new gpu... some webpages I found mentioned that loose connections in the PCI slot can cause this but they all feel really snug to me.

Please help :(

Solution
Do you have a friend's PC you can try the card in, or another card to try in your PC? Check that the rough handling didn't crack a copper contact on the edge connector of the card. And check inside the PCIe x16 slot to see if any contact fingers are bent or missing.

But if you get a display in safe mode and Win7 install, I really feel the card is OK. You obviously got a display in Windows Installation pgm if you did a clean install and all went well. At what point after the install finished and presented you to the desktop did you loose the display?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Do you have a friend's PC you can try the card in, or another card to try in your PC? Check that the rough handling didn't crack a copper contact on the edge connector of the card. And check inside the PCIe x16 slot to see if any contact fingers are bent or missing.

But if you get a display in safe mode and Win7 install, I really feel the card is OK. You obviously got a display in Windows Installation pgm if you did a clean install and all went well. At what point after the install finished and presented you to the desktop did you loose the display?

Solution

Delky

Reputable
May 12, 2014

I never lose the display ... but as soon as I install clean gtx 570 drivers and restart into a regular boot process ... i get the same Blue screen when the computer attempts to initialize the drivers right after the windows loading screen that comes after Bios screen if that makes any sense.

As for the copper contacts ... there is 1 little copper rectangle contact that is missing half on each side of the card (the part that inserts into the PCI slot). I could take a picture of it I guess but I always assumed 1 or 2 broken contacts wouldnt affect anything. (some people on the internet even say some cards are supposed to have half contacts in some locations)

No I don't have a friend or an extra card to test ... If only, if only lol