Graphics card only works when pushed during boot by hand

chakolate

Prominent
Mar 16, 2017
My problem is a bit weird (maybe unique).

I have an Asus Radeon RX 460 4GB STRIX.

When I built my computer, I didn't add the graphics card yet and booted it up bare to make sure everything was connected correctly. The system beeped and I booted into BIOS fine.

Once I added the graphics card, there was no more beep and my monitor gave me a No Signal sign. I've tried multiple things at that point such as changing the PCI-E slot on the PSU, changing the cable, disabling integrated graphics, making sure everything is connected correctly to the PSU (there's a white led that tells me it is connected correctly, it'll be red if not), and more.

It came to the point where I brought it to my friend's PC and tried it out in there. My friend's build is different -- the motherboard is hanging on it's side and when you attach the graphics card, the fans are facing the desk and it is hanging down. Once we added it in there, it didn't really work at first, but once we pushed it in some more, it booted up fine. So I looked at the way it was seated and it was pushed down a bit.

Next, I put it back in my build, my motherboard is seated face up so it's not hanging on its side or anything. Tried to boot it, and it doesn't work as expected. I then tried to push down on my graphics card so it looks like it would be hanging if it was seated the way it was in my friend's PC. I started it up while I was pushing down on it, and it booted up!

Does this mean there is something wrong with my graphics card? Or is something wrong with my motherboard graphics card slot?

SPECS:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B150N Phoenix-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
PSU: Corsair CXM 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor

Let me know if you need anything else! Thank you in advance!

Solution

There must be something blocking it from going all the way in? Have a look at the bracket on the card where the display ports are, the bit at the bottom might need to be bent slightly to slot into the space in the case for it.

chakolate

Prominent
Mar 16, 2017

I thought that as well, but I have to push it down at an angle, not just down directly into the slot. It needs to be at a weird 10-20 ish degree angle so if it were hanging, it looks like it's slanting downward a bit. Does that make sense? It's weird. I tried pushing it down directly into the slot and starting, and it doesn't work (without the case being in the way). It only worked if i pushed it at some weird angle.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

There must be something blocking it from going all the way in? Have a look at the bracket on the card where the display ports are, the bit at the bottom might need to be bent slightly to slot into the space in the case for it.

Solution

wiz2596

Prominent
Aug 29, 2017
I'm using the same mobo and I'm having the same issue as you but opposite, my pc boot ok with graphics card but it doesn't with integrated, its a pretty weird issue, the bios is updated to the last versión, CMOS cleared up, integrated video setting enabled in the bios but I cant get my pc to boot with integrated graphics, have you had any joy on this?