Graphics card or MoBo problem?

dennisgl

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2003
I am upgrading my computer in preparation for HalfLife 2.
The problem is that when I installed my ATI 9800 PRO card the graphics were corrupted. Various boxes and rectangles with different colors in them as well as all kinds of other crap. I returned the card for a new one and the replacement worked well at first but then the same thing happened. While troubleshooting I found that by wiggling the card a little it seems to make the problem worse but every once in a while I can get it to work fine. I reinstalled my old NVidia gforce 4 card and it works fine and I cannot get the problem to duplicate. Is this a Graphics card issue or a MoBo issue. I also installed a new Antec 430 watt PS. My current system specs are:
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
ATI Radon 9800 Pro
AMD 2800+ CPU
512 Mb Corsair 2700 ram

Please help.

Thanks Dennis

cleeve

Illustrious
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

The best way to diagnose computer components is to swap them with working systems.

Find a friend and install your card on their system. Loop 3dMark 03 and see if the Problem occurs. If it does, bad card... or perhaps your motherboard kills Radeons, which is bad.

If it works fine you can safely say that the Radeon is simply not compatible with that motherboard, or there is something screwy with that motherboard.

------------------
Radeon 9500 (modded to PRO w/8 pixel pipelines)
AMD AthlonXP 2000+
3dMark03: 3529

TKS

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
Usually when going from an Nvidia based card...the drivers hang around. Go to driverheaven.net and download the <A HREF="http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/" target="_new">driver cleaner</A>. Follow the directions on the page to fully remove the drivers from your system. Reboot...allow windows to install their retarded driver...then install the <A HREF="http://www2.ati.com/drivers/wxp-w2k-catalyst-7-93-030812a1-010735c-efg.exe" target="_new">Catalyst 3.7's</A> and you're set. Things will run smoothly after that. Don't blame the RADEON, blame the Detonators. They 'blow up' any other video card you plug in if it isn't Nvidia. Damn saboteurs anyways. :p

<b><i>Nvidia,</i> the way it's meant to be benchmarked.</b>