[SOLVED] Graphics card outputs black box on screen and nothing else

Dec 4, 2021
My GTX 1070TI is outputting only a black box on to the hdmi output and is not even outputting at all to the display ports
This is after my computer working perfectly for years
I have a VGA light flashing on the motherboard ez debug
the gpu itself is on as the fans are spinning and it gives an output

I have:
Put the gpu into another pci port
removed and replaced the power on the gpu
loaded into integrated graphics which works fine

unfortunately don't have another pc to test the card in
Scared that this is a case of a dead graphics card which is a terrible scenario

Last edited:
Solution
You think it is the cable on the PSU to the GPU or just the PSU itself not supplying enough power when the graphics card is plugged in as it works when I'm using integrated graphics just fine

It's that it's an old, low-quality PSU using an even older design. The PSU may not longer be able to provide enough to specifically provide the power for the GPU, which requires a lot more than the rest of the PC, or it may be failing in itself, or the GPU may be failing, possibly assisted by the low-quality PSU.

The idea is to remove as many variables as possible from the equation. One of the variables is a PSU that should not be running this PC, which you would need to replace under any circumstance except for simply using this PC as an...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

We're going to need a little more information from you. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Include the age of the PSU in your build apart from it's make and model.

Dec 4, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

We're going to need a little more information from you. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K
Motherboard: msi z390-a pro
Ram: Corsair CMK16GX4M2D3000C16 Vengeance LPX 16 GB
SSD/HDD: Samsung SSD 870 EVO, 500 GB
GPU:GTX 1070 TI
PSU: cx600m (4 years old)
Chassis:
Monitor: AOC 27B1H

Include the age of the PSU in your build apart from it's make and model.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I'd certainly try another PSU. A bit of an odd match for the hardware as this PSU was never a good one. And if you bought new in 2017, it was sitting around in a warehouse for two or three years as this series had long been discontinued by that point. The GPU may still be dead, but you'll need a new PSU in any case if you plan on replacing the GPU.

Dec 4, 2021
I'd certainly try another PSU. A bit of an odd match for the hardware as this PSU was never a good one. And if you bought new in 2017, it was sitting around in a warehouse for two or three years as this series had long been discontinued by that point. The GPU may still be dead, but you'll need a new PSU in any case if you plan on replacing the GPU.

You think it is the cable on the PSU to the GPU or just the PSU itself not supplying enough power when the graphics card is plugged in as it works when I'm using integrated graphics just fine

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

It's that it's an old, low-quality PSU using an even older design. The PSU may not longer be able to provide enough to specifically provide the power for the GPU, which requires a lot more than the rest of the PC, or it may be failing in itself, or the GPU may be failing, possibly assisted by the low-quality PSU.

The idea is to remove as many variables as possible from the equation. One of the variables is a PSU that should not be running this PC, which you would need to replace under any circumstance except for simply using this PC as an office PC for now on.

Solution