Question Graphics card outputs no picture, but the iGPU does ?

Sep 26, 2022
I recently had my graphics card stop working. When my HDMI is plugged into my graphics card, I get no display on my monitor. But if I directly plug it into the motherboard, I get a display on my monitor. The graphics card still lights up so it does't appear to be completely dead. How do I test where the problem lies, and if it can be fixed or I need to replace it. I am using a gtx 1070ti

Can you test the GPU on some other different PC if possible ? Or, maybe try another PCI-E slot on the motherboard, assuming it has an extra slot. What are you full PC specs ?

Which PSU are you using ? Make sure to plug in the PCIe cables to the GPU's port as well, just in case you forgot. If you have already done all these steps, then mostly likely the GPU might be dead. The only likely solution for this would be to check the card on some other PC.

Else, RMA the card, assuming the warranty is still valid. If need be, reset all the BIOS/CMOS to their default factory values. You could also try swapping the Monitor cables, or try some other display port/output of the GPU.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2022
Can you test the GPU on some other different PC if possible ? Or, maybe try another PCI-E slot on the motherboard, assuming it has an extra slot. What are you full PC specs ?

Which PSU are you using ? Make sure to plug in the PCIe cables to the GPU's port as well, just in case you forgot. If you have already done all these steps, then mostly likely the GPU might be dead. The only likely solution for this would be to check the card on some other PC.

Else, RMA the card, assuming the warranty is still valid. If need be, reset all the BIOS/CMOS to their default factory vales. You could also try swapping the Monitor cables, or try some other display port/output of the GPU.
Thanks very much! Pulled everything out of the motherboard and gave it a clean. GPU now working again so my best guess is there was dirt preventing a solid connection. I am still worried it goes off again and then its just a case of a failing GPU.