Graphics card overheating, BSOD when gaming, swapped cards same problem

sotonohito

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
I was running a GeForce 550ti, a bit over a year old, and started getting a BSOD flashing by (too quick to note the hex codes), then the system restarting with all fans blaring at max speed.

Touching the top of the card it was blisteringly hot.

I assumed it was a bad card, bought a new GeForce 560ti, made sure my drivers were up to date. Same exact problem.

When I boot into Linux it works forever, I don't do any gaming on my Linux side.

In Windows it works until I start up a game, at which point it'll go for ~90 seconds before crashing with a blisteringly hot spot right over the GPU.

My power supply is rated for 500 watts, well within spec for the 550ti, and at spec for the 560ti.

Is my mainboard dying? My power supply? Or what?

Thanks!

dinosaurxjones

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
it seems to me like a problem with the graphics card itself although if you have somehow way overclocked it then that could burn it out pretty fast. um i would check if anything is overclocked but also you should turn up the cooling unit and consider adding an extra one. and make sure your bios is up to date, i dont think this would cause it to overheat but its always good to check.

carowden

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012

as stated above you might have a 500w psu, but it might not be a great quality one and could be causing the problem. also a lot of the components can get hot to the touch, but i wouldnt touch the components while the computer is plugged in without discharging static charge. you could damage components that way. i would get a program to monitor your gpu temps (gpuz should work) and go from there.

sotonohito

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
@carowden: It's a ThermalTake power supply if I recall correctly. I'm at work now, I'll have to double check. But it isn't a cheap off brand PSU.

@dinosaurxjones: I doubt it's the card(s). I tried a brand new graphic card and had the exact same problem as I did with the old card. No overclocking on either card.

carowden

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
well im not exactly sure of their reputation as far as psus go, but if i had to guess id say the psu is your problem. it might just have gone bad over time, but if you have any way to test it with a different power supply i would. but see if you maybe get a different response from someone else. this is just my best guess as to what the problem may be based on the things ive read in this post.

TRENDING THREADS