Graphics card overheating issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zman1764

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
I am constantly having problems with my PC locking up when I am playing games such as F.E.A.R., Age Of Empires III, and Far Cry, and on occassion, Need for Speed Most Wanted.

I have tried a ton of solutions and none of them have worked. I do remember putting thermal paste on it awhile ago (artic Silver 5), and I might have put a layer on that was too thick. Would that be causing it?

Also, i find that even when I play with the case open, i touch my graphics card (X850 pro PCI Express) and its freakin scorching! I swear its close to 100 Degrees Farenheigt!

Is there a program where I can test each component at one at a time (such as graphics card, CPU, Memory, and so forth)?

Is there any free CPU tprturing Programs?
How about graphics card torturing programs?

pintojl3

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
The first thing I'd try (if you have not already) is ATI Tool:

http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/

Have you tried playing at lower resolutions or reducing other graphical features?

Personally, I've had similar problems with an AGP x850pro that I've flashed with an xt/pe bios and added an ATI Silencer 5 cooler.

I notice when I play COD2 at max it will freeze occasionally to which I have reboot the machine. If I lower the resolution to say 1024x768 it runs fine.

I'm leaning more towards it being a power supply problem rather then a cooling problem...

Zman1764

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
The first thing I'd try (if you have not already) is ATI Tool:

http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/

Have you tried playing at lower resolutions or reducing other graphical features?

Personally, I've had similar problems with an AGP x850pro that I've flashed with an xt/pe bios and added an ATI Silencer 5 cooler.

I notice when I play COD2 at max it will freeze occasionally to which I have reboot the machine. If I lower the resolution to say 1024x768 it runs fine.

I'm leaning more towards it being a power supply problem rather then a cooling problem...
Well it is a cheap Power Supply from a linkworld case I bought on New Egg. Come to think of it I did have an MGE in before it started doing this (My case is an MGE, it came with it. I thought it had blew out when it wouldnt start my PC with my Audigy 2 ZS in it, so I replaced it)...

I took some temperatures using Everest home edition. This was after playing Freelancer for a solid hour at 1024x768:
temps.jpg

Then I took more temperatures using Everest while playing F.E.A.R. (sorry no screenie)
GPU Temperatures when exiting FEAR: 105 degrees Celcius, 210 Degrees Farenheight
CPU also hit about 75 C (Pentium 4 520, 2.8 ghz)

You must also note that all of these tempuratures were taken WITH THE CASE OPEN
Thats WAY too hot for this kinda of card in that kind of enviroment (open case).

Someone had said to me that everything in my system is too hot, and that I should take the front fan fan out. I have 4 80 mm fans installed (one in front blowing in, two in back blowing out, and one on the side blowing in)...

Is there anything else I can do or is watercooling (or a new completely rebuilt PC) the only answer?

pintojl3

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
Ouch... that is quite hot - both for GPU and CPU.

How's the room temperature? Any other PC's or heat sources near it?

What are your temps at idle (GPU/CPU)?

For comparison, my system tends to be pretty warm (P4 3.4 ghz Northwood) CPU - 46 C, case - 42 C, GPU - 48 C.

This evening I'll try to capture temps under load.

Gary_Busey

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
That's really strange. I only have three fans, 2 on the side and one exhaust, and my cpu (in sig) idles at 35-38C and my gpu idles at ~45C.

pintojl3

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
For my temps, I know it's my case. I have one of those bargain Dell servers (400sc) that I got at a great price. There's only one 92 mm fan that pulls air across the CPU. There is no way to add a fan to the front of the case - unless I make a hole - which I may end up doing. Otherwise, I can live with it.

Zman1764

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
The room is quite warm, and there are 5 computers in here (and the room is only about 12 x 8), one is next to mine.

Idle temps are as follows:
CPU: 56 Degrees Celcius (133 farenheight)
GPU 52 Celcius (126 Farenheight)
The Graphics card Heatsink is abosolutly scorching!
The Processor Im pretty sure is in acceptable temperature range, as its a prescott Pentium 4 LGA775 processor, and those thigns run really hot so 75 at full usage is about the max threshhold... Or maybe I'm jsut losing it, and everything is too hot.
Could it be becasue of a thick layer of thermal paste was applied to the processor? I remember putting it on and Not knowing what I was doing so I put a little too much and the layer right now is extremely thick. Is that the problem?

Also, my case is still open. I actually tried putting a table fan pulling all the hot air out and it still doesnt fix the problem...

Its probably a faulty component at this point, and not a heat problem. Maybe the graphics card heatsink isnt doing its job or maybe the thermal paste had worn off it so the heat inst transfering correctly or maybe its just too hot in this room and I need to invest in a watercooling system...

Any other thoughts?

Gary_Busey

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Leaving your case open is worse than having it shut. It makes it so there's no airflow through your case. Also, you're not supposed to put a thick layer of thermal paste, just a thin layer, or even a small pea-sized dot in the middle. You're probably going to need to get an aftermarket HSF for your video card. I have the same graphics card, except AGP, and mine never goes over 70 on load, with stock cooling. I bought an Arctic Cooling HSF for mine though, it'll be here next monday and only costs like $20. Might want to try one of those. Other than that, I don't know what else to tell ya. Air cooling should keep your system plenty cool.

G

i had this problem to every now and then it cod me cos you have a dust bield up becose i do and all i do is just get the hoover and suck out all my g card vents and every thing so give it a go and see what happens oh and i got a ati redion 2600 xt ya soz bout spelling lol

tango4x4

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
How to solve your overheating issues.

MY ATI 1950 Pro was also overheating reaching 100c!!! This was not good. I thought it would be time for a new gcard!!!! So I gave it one last go. Removed the card, cleaned it out and put it back in. Still the same thing. Then I had taken it out again, and saw on the back of my card a pink cool pad covered in a thin layer of dust. I gently cleaned this off and the hole where you could see the processor as wel, being careful not to damage the pink pad, now my card runs at 70c when play games and 44c when doing usual windows stuff. But it does not stop there. FPS have increased and the overall running of the card is 100% better. So if your overheating and dont know why. Clean up your card. It could make all the difference.

jediknight

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
I have the same problem when playing wow with full spec Geforce GTS 250 Graphics card anyone know any program to see the tep???

G

I'm actually having the same trouble with my graphics card its reaching 125 degrees (f) I have a fan in the back one in the front and liquid cooling installed and this is after playing like 20 minutes of a really low graphics game.

Status
Not open for further replies.