Graphics Card Overheating Issues

MrMooky

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
I'd been using an 8800GTS in my comp for about 4-5 years. It recently started showing a lot of artifacts and then stopped working altogether. I figured I had it about 5 years, they aren't made to last forever, so I didn't think much of it. I did notice before it went bad, it was getting excessively hot. I know my friend that helped me build the comp had it OCed, so I figured that contributed to it burning out.

Now I'm in the process of selecting new parts for a new build, and a friend let me borrow an old Nvidia 7600 GT just so I could use my comp until I build the new one. The moment I do anything using any kind of graphics, the card will quickly reach 100+ *C. Any one know why this might be?

randomizer

Champion
If you borrowed the card and installed it in a new system without having overclocked it on this system the drivers have zero impact. The only way the card could still be overclocked is if you overclocked it yourself on the new system or if your friend flashed the VGA BIOS with the new settings. The latter is unlikely because there's almost no reason to do it.

MrMooky

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010

Any ideas on what might be causing the excess heat? The only way to keep it usable is to open the case and have a small house fan blowing directly onto the graphics card.

randomizer

Champion
The heatsink may not be making proper contact with the GPU. They mount the coolers on pretty quick and in a rather haphazard manner so it's possible. If you pull it off you'll probably find too little or too much thermal paste underneath, and applied poorly as well.

Helltech

Distinguished

Acutally GPUs have their own bios, and yes you can flash those bios to change voltages and what not. Doing so however is dangerous, and usually shows no point or gain, except to unlock voltages.

MrMooky

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
Ok, this is still being an issue. Does any one have any thoughts on what could be causing this? I know the 8800gts connected directly to the PSU, so I thought it could just be a PSU issued. However, the 7600 does not connect to the PSU, and I don't see any reason that would be causing such excessive heat.

Really need some help with this.

MrMooky

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
I might also add that I'm not having any issue with CPU heat, just the graphics card. How is it that I would need a small desk fan blowing directly on the card to keep it around 80* while playing WoW?