Graphics Card Overheating Issues

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrMooky

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
I'd been using an 8800GTS in my comp for about 4-5 years. It recently started showing a lot of artifacts and then stopped working altogether. I figured I had it about 5 years, they aren't made to last forever, so I didn't think much of it. I did notice before it went bad, it was getting excessively hot. I know my friend that helped me build the comp had it OCed, so I figured that contributed to it burning out.

Now I'm in the process of selecting new parts for a new build, and a friend let me borrow an old Nvidia 7600 GT just so I could use my comp until I build the new one. The moment I do anything using any kind of graphics, the card will quickly reach 100+ *C. Any one know why this might be?

MrMooky

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
Could it be a PSU issue, even with the card not hooked up directly to the power supply, and no issue with any other part running hot? I'm about to get a 5770 MSI Hawk and I don't wanna have the same issue when I get it.