Graphics card overheating shutting down PC.

Vladamir_1

Reputable
Jan 28, 2016
My computer has recently started shutting down due to what i am pretty sure is my graphics card overheating. It happens when playing WoW, but hasnt seemed to happen with any other game. I checked the temp gets up around 90c. I have a EVGA 80 plus gold 750W psu, z77 mobo, i7 3770k. It has started happening recently more (possibly because summers starting in Australia). I only play WoW on mid settings and comfortably sit at 100 fps. It doesnt happen with other games, but i usually dont play them for the same lengths of time, but WoW is pretty low intensity. Is this likely some kind of driver/software issue, or just overheating.

gaborbarla

Distinguished
Hi Vladimir, have you checked if the fan on the card ramps up properly when in use? I once had a 60% fan curve limit accidentally on one of my cards and kept throttling back because of it. Even upgraded the fans on my case to solve it and only later noticed that the curve was set wrong and was enabled.
It could also be your case cooling, do you have enough in and out fans on the case? Are they turning at their rated speeds? Is the CPU not overheating? Those are the things i would check. Normally graphics cards don't switch PC off. What card is it?