Graphics card overheating?

tomprior6

Aug 25, 2012
Hi,

Recently my GPU has been running at around 75C on games (Reaches up to 80C which is usually the point where it crashes or i get a blue screen) and around 45C on idle/internet browsing. I have done some research and 75C doesn't seem healthy so i has wondering whether its the GPU overheating or the PSU failing. This has also lead to crashing on some of the more graphically demanding games.

Within the last few days i have cleaned the whole PC of dust, which made no noticeable difference.

PC Specs:
FX 8350
Corsair H80
Sabretooth 990fx
16gb Corsair Vengeance
Asus R7870
CoolerMaster gx650W

Many Thanks

Solution
Could be time to renew the thermal paste on the card, but check the warranty conditions first, if there's a fault you don't want to mess with the card and lose the coverage.
Case airflow can make quite a difference, especially with non reference coolers that dump their heat into the enclosure, try running with the side panel off and if there's an improvement you'll probably need to install better front intake fan/s.
You can also set a more aggressive fan profile in Afterburner-more noise but lower temperatures.
Depending on game you can use Vsync to hold the frame rate down, or use Radeonpro and cap the frame rate of each game by setting up profiles there.
No, it's probably not the PSU.
Could be time to renew the thermal paste on the card, but check the warranty conditions first, if there's a fault you don't want to mess with the card and lose the coverage.
Case airflow can make quite a difference, especially with non reference coolers that dump their heat into the enclosure, try running with the side panel off and if there's an improvement you'll probably need to install better front intake fan/s.
You can also set a more aggressive fan profile in Afterburner-more noise but lower temperatures.
Depending on game you can use Vsync to hold the frame rate down, or use Radeonpro and cap the frame rate of each game by setting up profiles there.
No, it's probably not the PSU.

Solution