Graphics card overheating

Dillon_7

Commendable
Feb 17, 2016
Hello everyone i just finished my first pc build and i am having an issue with my xfx r9 390 graphics card where it runs fine when not under any load. But when i olay a game i overheat and the computer shuts off in about 10 minutes. When i watch a low def movie i get temperature s of 70-80°c. I can watch hd Movies for about 30-40 Minutes before it overheats.
I found a temporary solution which was taking the side panel off my case and i now get max temp of 65°c under heavy load.

Does anybody know why this is?

My build is M5A78L-M USB-3 mothorboard
Amd fx-8350 Cpu (stock cooling)
ATX1200 PSU
SAMSUNG SPINPOINT 2TB HDD
acer dvd drive (not sure on the model as was pulled from an older rig it was manufactured in 2009 Though)
Cant remember ram model just know its 2 8gb 1800mhz cards
XFX RADEON R9 390 8GB GDDR5 graphics card.

Solution
Well then something is definitely not kosher with your GPU. Watching a video does not put a graphics card under load. Does your case have adequate room for the GPU to breath? That R9 390 is dumping all kinds of heat into your case which can cause other components to overheat too.

You can always get a fan splitter to run 2 fans off one header for your new CPU cooler. And add additional fans to the case running directly off connectors on the PSU... After you replace it of course.

rcxtra

Reputable
Sep 15, 2015
Watching a movie (SD or HD) will not cause your GPU to get hot. Are you monitoring CPU or GPU temps?

If your CPU is getting that hot (above 75-80C) just watching a movie, even with the stock cooler, then you probably have a bad cooler mount and/or bad thermal paste application (remember, less is more). Also, you didn't mention what kind of case you have and how many case fans are installed. Here's a good video on best case fan(s) configuration...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OmkmluAYAQ

You might want to consider a cheap aftermarket CPU cooler as well
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-212-RR-212E-20PK-R2/dp/B005O65JXI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455774134&sr=8-1&keywords=hyper+212+evo

Dillon_7

Commendable
Feb 17, 2016
My cpu never went over 63°c i was running the pc woth intergrated for a couple of weeks and never ran into an issue.
But i think the issue was my psu as of about an hour ago my psu started to smoke so i shut everything off and one of the copper coils is black.

My case is a xigmatic with one casefan that come with it i dont know the exact model but it was 50 bucks

Which the cpu has an max point of 83 from what i have heard. But i could be wrong. I have an after market cooler already but it has 2 fans and i only have one cpu plug on motherboard for fans.

I was monitoring the gpu temps with the radeon crimson software and the cpu with core temp or something along those lines. It shows the cpu min temp max temp and current temp along with the activities of each core.

rcxtra

Reputable
Sep 15, 2015
Well then something is definitely not kosher with your GPU. Watching a video does not put a graphics card under load. Does your case have adequate room for the GPU to breath? That R9 390 is dumping all kinds of heat into your case which can cause other components to overheat too.

You can always get a fan splitter to run 2 fans off one header for your new CPU cooler. And add additional fans to the case running directly off connectors on the PSU... After you replace it of course.

Solution