Graphics Card overheating

Oct 6, 2018
Hi, I have an MSI Apache Pro gaming laptop I purchased last September.

It can't even handle Monster Hunter World, as the game will often freeze when something unique happens in the fight, like getting killed or breaking a tail off the monster i'm fighting. This freeze mostly lasts just a second or 2, but has gradually gotten worse.

The graphics card has more recently been crashing, with a "Fatal Error" message.

The last crash (this morning) happened just as I defeated a powerful monster, before the game had a chance to save >.<

The fans sound like a jet engine and the laptop becomes incredibly hot, and I am wondering why a rather new high profile (MSI) gaming laptop is having so much trouble in the year 2018. It's as bad as my Acer back in 2012.

Is anyone else getting this terrible performance from a relatively new MSI gaming laptop + NVIDIA graphics card?
My AMD Radeon 6950 performed better than this from 2011 til 2017 >.<

I've barely used the laptop at all for the likes of gaming, only recently with Monster Hunter World (since August) and I have had the freezing issue since I started, so it can't be a wear + tear issue on the card. Is the card really that bad?

I have nothing else active in the background.
There is plenty of room around the laptop itself, I have it sitting on a desk with no clutter around it.

Here are my specs:

Time of this report: 10/6/2018, 12:34:55
Machine name: MSI
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
System Model: GE72VR 7RF
BIOS: E179BIMS.309 (type: UEFI)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8078MB RAM
Page File: 7658MB used, 9634MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Supported
DxDiag Version: 10.00.17134.0001 64bit Unicode

Thanks in advance,
Raze =)

Solution
On a search I saw many people have the same temps as you. Anything under 90c is not really a concern, it's average. If you are good at taking your laptop apart, you can clean out the dust, then apply your own thermal paste. Liquid metal is really good. Thermal Grizzly Kryonaught. I'm sure if you contact MSI they won't ask where you purchased it unless you want an RMA.
Oct 6, 2018

Thanks, I'll contact MSI tech support, although I bought the laptop just over a year ago on scan.co.uk, so I'm unsure if they'd be willing to help =(

Oct 6, 2018

My drivers were out of date by 3 days, so I just updated now.
I didn't crash this time, or even freeze throughout 2 monster fights.

However it is worth noting that usually I keep on top of driver updates, and even after updating I have experienced no difference in performance (still freezing) in the past.

It's the second driver update this month, so maybe the last one was a dud. Who knows.

Fyi I am now using MSI Afterburner to measure my GPU temperature, and it sits at 45-48 idle, and peaks at 85 in-game. Is this normal?

I've also purchased this, to help keep the laptop cool:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NNMB3KS/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

Will this be any good?

gtr22

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
On a search I saw many people have the same temps as you. Anything under 90c is not really a concern, it's average. If you are good at taking your laptop apart, you can clean out the dust, then apply your own thermal paste. Liquid metal is really good. Thermal Grizzly Kryonaught. I'm sure if you contact MSI they won't ask where you purchased it unless you want an RMA.

Solution