[SOLVED] Graphics Card Pci-e

FirePots

Prominent
Oct 25, 2019
So I got a new graphics card with a pci-e 6 slot, but my prebuilt pc had a graphics card without a pci-e. I don’t have a pci-e cable im the pc that i can connect to the graphics card. any idea what i can do?

Solution
Ok, start from the beginning.
What system do you have?

Any modern(ish) GPU is PCIe.... So if you have a discreet GPU, you have a PCIe slot.

I suspect you mean you don't have a PCIe power connector from the PSU? As in your old GPU doesn't have a supplemental power connector (something like a GTX 750, GT 1030, RX550, something like that?).

If your PSU doesn't have the approrpiate connectors for the hardware you wish to run from it - that's a sure sign you need a new PSU. Depending on your exact system, and whether or not they use proprietary connectors, that may or may not be a simple task.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
What system do you have?

Any modern(ish) GPU is PCIe.... So if you have a discreet GPU, you have a PCIe slot.

I suspect you mean you don't have a PCIe power connector from the PSU? As in your old GPU doesn't have a supplemental power connector (something like a GTX 750, GT 1030, RX550, something like that?).

If your PSU doesn't have the approrpiate connectors for the hardware you wish to run from it - that's a sure sign you need a new PSU. Depending on your exact system, and whether or not they use proprietary connectors, that may or may not be a simple task.

Solution

FirePots

Prominent
Oct 25, 2019
What system do you have?

You’re right, I’m using a gt 1030 and switched to a 1060. Do you have any suggestions on what psu I can get? (heres the 1060 link.) https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1060-3GT-OC.html

Last edited: