[SOLVED] Graphics Card Pin Connections

Nov 14, 2019
I'm buying either a RX 5700 or a Vega 64 soon. I have everything good except the PSU. My PSU is an Evo Labs E-750BL 750W. It's got 1x 6 pin connector. What's my options? Don't want to buy a new PSU as it would be a pain to install as my cable management is perfect right now.

My motherboard is an Asrock AB350 Pro 4 & I have a Ryzen 5 3600 - currently with a 1050ti which requires no additional power. So, with my 6 pin connector, is there a graphics card with the capability of a 1070ti (or around it), which requires 1x 6 pin or can I just buy an adapter? I'm aware the 5700 requires 1x 6 pin and 1x 8 pin; while the Vega is 2x 8 pins so I doubt these are within the range of this PSU now.

I would be happy with a "mini" graphics card - ie 2070 or 2060 but I want to keep it within the same price of a vega 64 (right now £272).

Alternatively I am looking at a 2060 Mini. Could I use a 6 pin to 8 pin adapter?

PSU Specs:
Key Features
  • New Version PSU ATX 2.2/2.3
  • 120mm Black Silent Cooling Fan
  • Silent operation with improved ventilation
  • PFC: Power Factor Control
  • ATX 12V compliant for most CPUs and mainboards
  • Switchable Input Voltage between 115 & 230Vac
  • 4 x SATA Connectors
  • Stable & Reliable
Model
E750-12BL

Wattage
750W

Input Voltage Options
115Vac
230Vac
115/230Vac Switchable

Input Current
10A

Input Frequency
50~60Hz

Connections
1 x 20+4 Pin ATX
1 x 4 Pin CPU
4 x Serial ATA (SATA)
1 x 6 Pin PCI-E
3 x 4 Pin Molex
1 x FDD

Last edited:
Solution
Long story short, you should get a new PSU. Given the current (bad) model you use, I cannot recommend any power adapters without feeling guilty. This can potentially lead to all kinds of problems, from simple PSU failure to PSU catching fire, or killing the entire motherboard / RAM / CPU / GPU. Not worth the risk, simple as that.

If the PSU you are using has no adequate power connectors for the GPU, that is in itself a clear sign that you should not be using that PSU in the first place.

If you need a recommendation for the PSU, here it is: Corsair RMx 650w. This one can actually provide full rated 650W, while your current PSU is most likely only suited for approximately 300W load, an example of false advertising in its purest form.
Long story short, you should get a new PSU. Given the current (bad) model you use, I cannot recommend any power adapters without feeling guilty. This can potentially lead to all kinds of problems, from simple PSU failure to PSU catching fire, or killing the entire motherboard / RAM / CPU / GPU. Not worth the risk, simple as that.

If the PSU you are using has no adequate power connectors for the GPU, that is in itself a clear sign that you should not be using that PSU in the first place.

If you need a recommendation for the PSU, here it is: Corsair RMx 650w. This one can actually provide full rated 650W, while your current PSU is most likely only suited for approximately 300W load, an example of false advertising in its purest form.

Solution

Wolfshadw

Titan
I'd have to agree with replacing the power supply with one that is designed to run the graphics card you want. Look at it this way. If you don't replace it and it fails, you'll be redoing the cable management anyway AND replacing anything that the old power supply took with it (CPU, motherboard, Shiny new graphics card).

-Wolf sends

Nov 14, 2019
I'd have to agree with replacing the power supply with one that is designed to run the graphics card you want. Look at it this way. If you don't replace it and it fails, you'll be redoing the cable management anyway AND replacing anything that the old power supply took with it (CPU, motherboard, Shiny new graphics card).

-Wolf sends

Any recommendations for the PSU based on the specs given? Don't want anything too pricey but one which I'm not going to pay out for and regret down the line.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Any recommendations for the PSU based on the specs given? Don't want anything too pricey but one which I'm not going to pay out for and regret down the line.

I'm a fan of the Seasonic Focus Gold series (probably around 650 watts for you), but I don't see anything wrong with the Corsair recommendation @herrwizo suggests.

The power supply is the life blood of your system. It's the one thing you do not want to cheap out on. If you were shopping for an artificial heart, would you be shopping at Heart Transplants Inc for a custom designed one or some off brand from Wal-Mart?

-Wolf sends

Your psu would have more than a 6 pin connector if it could safely output more power.
The best card that uses only 6 pin power might be a GTX1060.

Really, though, you have a cheap psu that should be replaced.
A cheap PSU will be made of substandard components. It will not have safety and overload protections.
The danger is if it fails under load, it can destroy anything it is connected to.
It will deliver advertised power only at room temperatures, not at higher temperatures found when installed in a case.
The wattage will be delivered on the 3 and 5v rails, not on the 12v rails where modern parts
like the CPU and Graphics cards need it. What power is delivered may fluctuate and cause instability
issues that are hard to diagnose.
The fan will need to spin up higher to cool it, making it noisy.
A cheap PSU can become very expensive.

You need a quality replacement.
I would endorse the seasonic 650w focus recommendation.
Seasonic seems to have sales around this time of the year.