[SOLVED] Graphics Card Power

saad.bin.shafique

Commendable
Nov 13, 2021
Hello. I wanted to upgrade my system. In specs sheet of my system, they have written that i have total of 300W power available for graphics.

So, i started searching the internet for graphics card, with power consumption of 300w. I finalized Nvidia GTX-1650 graphics card. That graphics card has total consumption of 300W.

I wanted to ask that, am i doing correct?
And can you suggest a more better option than 1650 ?

Solution

Yup, I just saw these specs on the internet. It landed me on the same page links, and it looks like that your system is pretty decent, and it also has a compatible PSU as well. On the product page, it says, ""Support for two PCI Express® x16 Gen 2 or Gen 3 graphics cards up to 300W (total for graphics): ""

And since you plan to use the Nvidia GTX-1650 graphics card on this system, it should run fine since being a...
Which system is that ? Can you post the specs sheet ? Assuming this is an OEM or a pre-built system, then that 300 W PSU won't cut the mustard here. Does it even have a PCIe/PEG power connector cable for the GPU, 6/8-PIN ? You need to grab a higher wattage and high quality PSU, assuming your current PC lacks a compatible PSU.

What are the other system specs ? The total power draw is also going to be determined on what other components you have installed in this system, including the CPU.

Last edited:

saad.bin.shafique

Commendable
Nov 13, 2021
Which system is that ? Can you post the specs sheet ? Assuming this is an OEM or a pre-built system, then that 300 W PSU won't cut the mustard here. Does it even have a PCIe/PEG power connector cable for the GPU, 6/8-PIN ? You need to grab a higher wattage and high quality PSU, assuming your current PC lacks a compatible PSU.

What are the other system specs ? The total power draw draw is also going to be determined on what other components you have installed in this system, including the CPU.
Thankyou for the reply.

I have Dell Precision T5610 workstation.

You can refer to the following links:

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-pk/000144605/precision-t5610-desktop-workstation-hardware-specifications

https://data.technimax.cz/attach/artilky/Dell-Precision-T5610-Spec-Sheet_en-us.pdf

Yup, I just saw these specs on the internet. It landed me on the same page links, and it looks like that your system is pretty decent, and it also has a compatible PSU as well. On the product page, it says, ""Support for two PCI Express® x16 Gen 2 or Gen 3 graphics cards up to 300W (total for graphics): ""

And since you plan to use the Nvidia GTX-1650 graphics card on this system, it should run fine since being a dual-slot card, the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 does not require any additional power connector, its power draw is rated at 75 W maximum.

However, some custom AIB models do indeed require a 6-PIN PCI/PEG cable for the GPU. So just make sure your current PSU has at least 1 6-pin cable, should you plan to buy a custom variant card requiring this. But I'm almost certain it will have these cables.

The full database can be found here, https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-1650.c3366 .

Even the current PSU in this workstation system has sufficient wattage for the GTX 1650. The specs say, ""825 / 685 W (input voltage of 100 VAC-240 VAC) "", and Power Supply (externally accessible, toolless, 80 Plus® Gold Certified, 90% efficient): 825W or 685W
".
So based on this you should have no problem running the GTX 1650 gaming GPU as well. List of supported cars are listed as QUADRO, FirePro series, but you should also be able to install any gaming card from either AMD or Nvidia. I don't see any huge issue here.

Solution