News Graphics Card Prices Slid Another 14% in June, Down 57% Since January

LastStanding

Prominent
May 5, 2022
This is just the beginning. Everyone knows that these overvalued companies will fall hard but it would be even worst this time due to... themselves.

About time and more fright to come! 🔫

MrStillwater

Prominent
Jun 4, 2022
Graphics card prices and availability continue to improve, and the used market is being flooded with old mining cards, now that GPU mining is borderline unprofitable. Here's a look at the current prices, for new cards at retail as well as used GPUs on eBay.

Graphics Card Prices Slid Another 14% in June, Down 57% Since January : Read more
And yet another article about how much prices have come down whilst here in the UK they've barely moved in the past couple of months.

And yet another article about how much prices have come down whilst here in the UK they've barely moved in the past couple of months.
Yeah, I haven't even tried to track pricing across other locations. We're predominantly a US website (about 45% of all users), and while the UK is our second largest traffic source, it's only around 6–7% of the traffic.

I suspect crypto mining was never that big in the UK either, since electricity prices are a lot higher and would drastically cut into the profitability. I don't think your GPU prices ever got quite as high as in the US, and thus they didn't have quite as far to fall. More importantly, if there weren't a lot of miners in the UK, then there aren't going to be many used GPUs from miners flooding secondhand markets, which in turn also impacts how much prices have to drop.

A quick look at Scan suggests UK retail prices are pretty much comparable to current US prices. Basically, you pay about as much in GBP as we pay in USD, which means you pay more but that's pretty much always been the case.

RX 6950 XT: £1105
RX 6900 XT: £930
RX 6800 XT: £800
RX 6800: £590
RX 6750 XT: £560
RX 6700 XT: £500
RX 6650 XT: £395
RX 6600 XT: £400
RX 6600: £320

RTX 3090 Ti: £1799
RTX 3090: £1599
RTX 3080 Ti: £1080
RTX 3080 12GB: £875
RTX 3080: £770
RTX 3070 Ti: £690
RTX 3070: £559
RTX 3060 Ti: £470
RTX 3060: £380
RTX 3050: £287

D

Deleted member 431422

I checked local eBuy counterpart in Poland and 1050Ti price is higher than in retail. Used GPU's are overpriced. I wouldn't pay anything higher than 50% MSRP for a used card (used for a year) and less for anything older. You never know what you buy and warranty might not apply when the card breaks.

Reactions: Tom Sunday
Talked with friends at the local computer show. This is where 'the man on the street' shops and communicates. No marketing agendas but the real truth. From what I gather most all purchases on ebay confirmed that reseller’s pass-off used (so called refurbished) GPU’s as new. Besides the passing-on of former ‘Miner Cards’ in many other unscrupulous ways. So the word was to never use ebay as once the seller has your money its goodbye and no looking back! My own opinion in this matter is that ebay is just one step above Craiglist and where most expect bargain basement prices but full well knowing that not all things are what they seem to be!
This is bunk. eBay is heavily weighted toward buyers these days. If you buy something, even if it states, "No returns," you can file a complaint with eBay if the item doesn't work or is not what you wanted. Not only that, but most people offer 30 day return policies (the default for eBay), so someone could buy a card, use it for 25 days, and then say they want a refund. Thankfully, most buyers aren't that bad, and frankly if you get a "refurbished" card that's sold as new, at a decent price, you should have already guessed that it wasn't brand new. Beyond that, if it's fully refurbished with replaced thermal pads on the GDDR6X memory (for higher end RTX 30-series cards like 3070 Ti and above), you'll probably end up enjoying the card more.

I've replaced the thermal pads on a few GPUs recently, as a test. It doesn't matter the brand or model, if you have a 3080 that was running the memory at 100C or higher, you can usually drop that to 80C with good thermal pads. And if your GPU is clean and running cool and performs as expected, it will probably continue to do so for some time. If it has issues right when you get it, you file a complaint with eBay and get a refund.

Reactions: P1nky

MrStillwater

Prominent
Jun 4, 2022
Yeah, I haven't even tried to track pricing across other locations. We're predominantly a US website (about 45% of all users), and while the UK is our second largest traffic source, it's only around 6–7% of the traffic.

I suspect crypto mining was never that big in the UK either, since electricity prices are a lot higher and would drastically cut into the profitability. I don't think your GPU prices ever got quite as high as in the US, and thus they didn't have quite as far to fall. More importantly, if there weren't a lot of miners in the UK, then there aren't going to be many used GPUs from miners flooding secondhand markets, which in turn also impacts how much prices have to drop.

Thanks for the reply Jarred, I appreciate you can't benchmark for every country in the world and wasn't expecting you too. You're right that crypto probably isn't huge here in the UK, but I'm not sure you're right about prices never having gotten as high as the US - it would be interesting to see some actual stats. In the first half of last year there was absolutely zero stock available in the UK, and it was only around May that even small numbers of cards started to become available. We've never had cards being sold here at MSRP and even now most are well above (certainly in the mid-range tiers). I bought my RX6800 a year ago and it cost £950, which was the cheapest I could find it for. Up until today the cheapest I'd seen them going for was still over £600. I see there are now some listed at £589 so they have dropped a little in the last few days, although MSRP was £529 when they were first announced so they're still above. Ultimately I was just lamenting as I see articles on various websites almost every day saying cards are dropping in price but they've remained pretty stable here for the past two months. I'm happy to see there's been some movement on them again, even if slight.

Ogotai

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
i took a screenshot of 3 cards i am looking at getting, none of them have changed in price, at all. that screen shot was from almost 2 months ago

i took a screenshot of 3 cards i am looking at getting, none of them have changed in price, at all. that screen shot was from almost 2 months ago
I can believe that. Often individual models won't change as quickly in price, especially if the retailer paid a supplier $700 as an example and wants to make 14% profit by selling the card for $800. But if a new model with similar performance comes along and only costs $600 from the supplier, then the retailer can sell it for $700 and make 17% profit.

InvalidError

Titan
I can believe that. Often individual models won't change as quickly in price, especially if the retailer paid a supplier $700 as an example and wants to make 14% profit by selling the card for $800. But if a new model with similar performance comes along and only costs $600 from the supplier, then the retailer can sell it for $700 and make 17% profit.
The longer retailers take to lower their prices, the more likely they are to get stuck with unsold inventory they overpaid for when next-gen arrives and drops equivalent performance down two branding and one pricing tier down.

Reactions: JarredWaltonGPU

CDS1972

Commendable
Oct 22, 2020
Frankly Nvidia can go $%# themselves because of the sheer hell they put gamers through and its awfully suspicious how easy the miners clearly had at getting video cards.