Graphics card problem?

CamaroShifter88

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
So I came down from my college to chill at my parents house for a week this summer, and I had my computer out on the floor, w/ Overlord minimized, and while I was gone, my stupid-a** stepmom had unhooked everything, and rolled the computer under my bed. For some stupid reason, they like the house warm, and being under the bed had only made things hotter for the computer. Needless to say, I was enraged when I get home to see the computer there.

I went ahead and plugged a monitor up to it, and ya.. hell had kicked my computer's ***. I've had a slight problem with multi-colored static and other issues before, but this had only made things MUCH worse! Let me get to details first though:

Before this mess, I've had a few problems with, I'm not quite sure.. w/ my computer. I've always had grainy, multi-colored static pixels that would sporadically flare, mainly over black areas. The colors are typically lime green, pink, yellow.. just very vibrant, bright colors. They'd happen in-game, while booting up my BIOS, on my wallpaper.. everywhere. Not to mention, when my computer runs BIOS, it frequently has random letters replaced with odd characters.. anything from a "-" turning into a "§" or a solid block of gray, and often my normal black-gray screens would end up gleaming w/ the color-spectrum.

In any case, it ran games smoothly as far as frame-rate is concerned, and the only irritation was those pixels, as well as a few minor hieroglyphs and stretched particles in games when I turn the quality up high.

AFTER this whole under the bed thing, all of those problems have multiplied... tenfold. The neon static problem is MUCH worse than it has ever been. When I try playing a game like Overlord, I can play alright for the first 5 minutes or so, in which I see frequent glyphs appear, but then the game would randomally stop, as if it was being thermal-throttled. Then would start again a bit later, then stop quickly after. Then it'd get to the point that the whole thing would just freeze for good.

I tried to run Benchmark, which would do fine at first, but as it went further through the first test "proxycon.. w/e", it would get worse and worse, then freeze at the end. Not to mention, WEIRD things happen in games as far a sthe visuals of a game go, like the whole screen would jump into a "negative" perspective, or just go gray.

Lastly, even a lot of glyphs and pixels appear on my wallpaper, and they flash on/off, and get worse occasionally, and sometimes go/come back if I interact w/ them such as scroll over them w/ the window, and sometimes they appear over the window. I'll show a pic below:

retardedcomp.jpg

Those black lines are what I mean by glyphs, and ya, like I said, they tend to dance around a lot.

Also, randomally the video output would turn off, and turn back on and it says that an error has occured w/ my graphics driver. I know it's not the driver, and I know it's not the OS. I've used both Vista x32 and XP Home. Same story both ways. Anyone have any advice? Thanks

My Computer:
7900GT BFG OC edition (I never bothered OCing, h/w it seems like I'm not getting enough voltage through, and that's what's leading to these bad glyphs, and sometimes snow.)
e6600 2.4Ghz (stock, I OCed it in the past, but nothing too noticable and never with temperatures higher than 45*. When thrown under my bed, it was stock though.)
Corsair DOMINATOR 2GB (1x2GB)
ASUS P5K Deluxe
SilverStone 650w (brand new).

marvelous211

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
it's time for RMA. Those lines are usually caused by vram problems.

You might want to run your system with the case off and see if it's cooling problem first.

CamaroShifter88

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
haha, that's funny.

The computer is currently on the side with all the guts exposed to the 60*F room :/ It's not going to be able to get much cooler than that.

Though I'm thinking I'm going to need to re-do my thermal paste on my cpu. I did a bad job in the first place, and said I'll wait to reapply some more once I bought some top-notch stuff.

But PC probe is saying the cpu is running at 23*C

CamaroShifter88

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
haha, my bad for not catching the obvious xD

But would BFG really consider taking back the card? I mean, I've had since... they first came out a few years back or so. I've been planning on getting a new vid card after picking out which to stick w/.. one of the dx10 monsters, but I can hold off longer if this card can be fixed.

Also, do you think the gpu itself is damaged, or just sucks at cooling? If it's cooling, I can prolly just get an aftermarket job done on it, as it's still stock.

And lastly, would that cause that colored static? I didn't think that would've been part at fault, b/c I didn't think your gpu did any work at the startup and BIOS menu. Maybe I'm wrong.. I just have a basic knowledge of what all the parts do and so on.

Thanks for the help!

marvelous211

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Try blowing some cool air on to the board. If it seems to cure the problem just keep it and get some cooling if not RMA. Doesn't BFG have life time warranty or something like 5 years?

CamaroShifter88

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
Well, I'm talking to a technician at BFG. It seems they have a lifetime warranty on GPUs, I think.. but in any case, they're helping me out, so we'll see. I'll hold off, and if all else fails, I'll see what I can do as far as cooling it goes. Is there any type of cooling I can do for it that I'd be able to pop on to...say.. a 8800 if I had the chance? Maybe some heat sinks.. if they do much of any good.

But as for the static problem, I'll include a picture so you can see what I mean:
DSC00887.jpg

That's from my BIOS menu... as you all prolly can see.. Did you say this would be from my gpu as well?

And things from my desktop have only gotten worse :/
wow.jpg

Thanks again for all of your help!

CamaroShifter88

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
I was considering that, but I know OCing your card (and I guess that includes underclocking..) will void the warranty for BFG. If I returned the clockspeeds to their normal specs, would they have any way of noticing that I OC'd it, and void the warranty?

CamaroShifter88

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
alright, thanks. I'll give that a try. Do you know if that may have any correlation with that static at all, or is that part of what you're implying by me checking? I'll give it a try nonetheless though, and get back w/ the DL when I do.

CamaroShifter88

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
well, I tried downclocking.. but iono. You see, I just put on Vista b/c my last windows xp had expired, and I don't have my cd atm :/. Anyways, I'm on Vista.. and Vista won't even run a benchmark, not to mention any game whatsoever! I'd try to benchmark, and it'd go to the "proxycon" screen (3dmark07), and then would go black, lose the video output, then come up with an error message saying "IDirect3DDevice9:present failed:Device lost(D3DERR_DEVICELOST)" . No games will even run either.. I'd try to start them, it'd lose my video output, then Vista will say "Display driver stopped working and has recovered," then the game will just never start, or will begin closing after that. I downloaded all the correct drivers and hotfixes too.. Anyways..

so I tried underclocking, the GPUcore and vRAM, but does that require a reboot after? I checked that one box above the two, and then rebooted, then split the clock timings in half, applied, ok'd, then nothing seemed to have changed, and I figured it'd need another reboot. I rebooted, but the specs went straight back to their normal 450/660 :/. But I've seen no difference in artifacts being lost regardless..

EDIT: I understand I'm having SOME sort of issue with Vista it not opening stuff adn having the driver error a LOT.. but I've had all of this performance problem with XP too... just.. w/o the random video output dying on me randomally, and I was able to play games on XP.. besides that.. the rest is old news.

EDIT2: So I think there may also be a problem w/ my ram... I'm having a problem w/ "nvlddmkm stopped responding" frequently, and it seems it's linked with RAM. I'll toy around in the BIOS a bit and come back w/ some info.

CamaroShifter88

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
haha.. condolences accepted xD

So ya.. I'm actually workign out a bunch of issues atm. I got games etc to work.. but ya.. it's weird. I have my ouput die on me a lot and I changed my RAM frequency, which allows me in games now, but like mentioned, it will kick me out every now and then and ya.. I get that same "nvidia display driver nvlddmkm.sys has stopped" crap afterwards.

I'll have to do a bit more studying before I drop any more questions on you guys though.. this is quite a situation now :x

three0duster

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
The problem is your vid card, Maily Because its a 7900GT to start with. I had to RMA my 7900gt for issues similar to that and It is starting to do it again and my friends is doing the exact same thing right now, but its out of warranty, So he is SOL but that being a BFG, lifetime warranty is great :D RMA that sucker BFG customer support is great.

What's wrong with the 7900GT's?

CamaroShifter88

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
haha, damn straight BFG customer service has been great! But ya, I'm about positive now that the card is a major factor.

On to the other issues though. As mentioned, I had 2 problems. One would be the wishy-washy turning on/off of the graphics driver. It seems the later nVidia Vista releases are all having this problem a bit.. so I'm trying an earlier driver that others seem to not have a problem with.

The other problem was me not getting very far in 3dmark07.. and getting that error right before loading "proxycon" saying "Idirect3DDevice9::present failed: Device lost (D3DERR_DEVICELOST)". That, I have no idea with.. but I'll worry about that in a bit. Thanks again everyone.. this is a messy little situation..

EDIT: After downgrading my driver down to 158.45, my lame driver issue happens less frequently, and I can start up games and so on.. however it still came and bit me, but a few minutes later in the game.. :/

three0duster

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006

Were you absent for the big 7900GT recall for Evga? Apparently the memory was having major problems, like artifacts and random pixel colors and texture malfunction to say the least. Some of the replacements are having problems as well. It was first only thought that evga was having problems but some others were reporting similar issues as well. I have to run 84.xx drivers on my system to keep mine from getting random textures in WoW and CS:S . and those two are not exactly taxing on the card or the system. :cry:

It was mainly the GTX's that had [strike]crap[/strike] cheap vRAM modules on and had been factory OC'd, the GT's did not suffer the same fate if remember correctly, and my XFX and Asus 7900GT's are over a year and a half old and have had no such problems.

CamaroShifter88

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
Hah, true... it was getting worse and worse, but it was still entirely bearable. I mean, I had a game minimized at the time it happened.. so I was playing it fine the night before. I just had to get used to turning the graphics down. But after that night... there's NO WAY that it was playable, and the static had really kicked in.

But I did what I should've had the whole time.. I'm running Windows XP Pro right now.. No problems with the drivers or anything. I guess many of nVidia's cards don't work too well w/ their latest drivers, and nVidia knows this, and said they'll work to fix it sometime.. but it's still there :/. Anyways, I don't have that problem anymore, and I can start up games now, however it's still death after 5 minutes, in which artifacts are so numerous that you literally can't see past them, then it'll freeze for a minute or tow (thermal throttling?), then come back, only to freeze again shortly after (a few seconds to a minute TOPS).

Oh well, in any case, I'm waiting for an RMA, so I guess it's not TOO bad. Thank god for me picking a good manufacture in the first place!